2000 Porsche S-Bike

Marin’s stripped and up for grabs;

No, I've had a re-think, the Campagnolo is getting sold off.
Definitely using the M950 Crankset, Hollowtech BB, rear mech, front mech, hubs (on Campagnolo rims), 8sp cassette & chain with 8sp Gripshift.
Only decision I need to make is whether to stick with the maguras or switch over to the XTR V-brakes.

Maguras
+ Original to the bike.
- Heavy
- Not double boosted so not working at their optimum and I'd probably only double boost the rear so that the front can still be quick released for transporting. and I need to buy a new set of pads.

XTR
+ Look great and will make "the group" & they work very well with a recently fitted set of new shimano XTR pads.
+ Light
- Worth considerably more than the Maggies so I'm tempted to sell them off....
I ran Maguras on the first incarnation of my Chameleon, but went to XTR V's. As stated above the only + for the Maguras is original to the bike & the only - for the XTR is they're worth selling for

I ran Maguras on the first incarnation of my Chameleon, but went to XTR V's. As stated above the only + for the Maguras is original to the bike & the only - for the XTR is they're worth selling for
After seeing @yakboy actualy ride one I realised this is a proper bike with nearly modern geometry.
It got me thinking that evening and one item that really needed attention is the handlebar. It’s got an anodised aluminium that unfortunately has been damaged (not just superficially) from the bike being sat upside down I think. The problem is these need a 7/8ths or 22.2mm bar at the clamps, like a motorcycle. Yakboy sorted his with a carbon bar with a removable aluminium clamp sleeve, but his is more straight & short (I’m guessing 580/600)
So I thought I might try a Renthal 658 road sports bar. 720 wide with a 60mm back swing, I’m hoping this might make the Porsche more comfortable and give it a more modern feel.
If they work then maybe the Maggies might not even fit (not without re-hosing them) D0ECA582-416A-4E43-807E-1FC31CDA334A.png 1A029FB5-D621-4B14-9B94-1B6941865D4D.jpeg

There is always the cosmetic titification(if that's a word) to consider and that will liven it up:)
Quite right…
I wanted to keep the original Matt white, but I knew yours had been a challenge so I wasn’t sure I could save it. But I thought I might as well give it a go.
First a proper wash and dry with good old washing up liquid. Then a going over with a citrus based adhesive cleaner, but it needed a bit more for the ground in chain grease, cable rust and cable outer rub.
So a spot of Bar keepers friend here and a dash of MAAS there and I’m actually quite pleased.
It’s got some chain rash around the BB shell & stay but I think I can touch that in sufficiently well and it will be hidden behind the crank anyway.
F2CCC4BE-A22E-478C-9ADC-C451AD629071.jpeg 993A89F2-D50D-4F55-8083-4FEFAA99BED4.jpeg

Last edited:
Quite right…
I wanted to keep the original Matt white, but I knew yours had been a challenge so I wasn’t sure I could save it. But I thought I might as well give it a go.
I reckon you'll need to put on some surface protector as that paint has a weird soft feel and picks up dirt and grease marks so easily

I reckon you'll need to put on some surface protector as that paint has a weird soft feel and picks up dirt and grease marks so easily
I think I’ve seen a spray product for Matt finish bikes. I’ll have to search the tinterweb

Last edited:
Back