1x10 Campagnolo Sram hybrid drivechain

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is a known thing, but i thought i would share my experience. I like 1x drivechains. When i used to race cross i was a great fan of them as they tended not to clog up so much in the mud. I now run them on my road and mountain bikes as well.

Anyways, i am still a huge fan of campag 10 speed ergos, but i was a bit frustrated by the low gear limitations of campag cassettes and rear mechs. I did the shimergo thing for a while and tried j-tek adapters and while they did work neither was quite right. Then i tried campag ergos with a sram 10 speed mountain bike mech and 11-36 cassette. It works perfectly - better than with campag mech and cassette. The mech has a clutch and also i reckon capacity for an even bigger sprocket on the back. It's fabulous!

Rich

Attachments

• 20220427_211819.jpg
    20220427_211819.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220427_211848.jpg
    20220427_211848.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220427_211952.jpg
    20220427_211952.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 20
Nice mixing. I wouldn't have thought that would have worked. Good to see a Shimano free zone

Just normal.
I ran a normal ring and non-clutch mech for about 15 years on my cx bike and can only remember dropping the chain once. I love the recent drivechain innovations but i think we (me included) get too easily persuaded that they are essential.

Last edited:
I drop a chain over bumpy track all the time 1x10, got an front mech to try to keep the chain on. What's the best (value) way to retain the chain?

Without knowing your set up it's hard to judge, but there are a few things that can make a chain more likely to fall off. Chain line and chain length/tension are big factors. I tend to run single rings inboard if that is an option on cranks. In my experience (both on my own bikes and working as a mechanic) a lot of bikes could usefully have a shorter chain.

Simple little chain guides are good. Superstar Components used to do a very decent, well-priced one.

It's, err, pretty cobbledtogether. 11-46 casette, 48t chainring on stronglight 99, inner side, chain line pretty good. Microshift rd on a hanger extender thingy. DA 10 speed bar end shifter.
20220428_113630.jpg

I drop a chain over bumpy track all the time 1x10, got an front mech to try to keep the chain on. What's the best (value) way to retain the chain?
Shortening the chain really makes a difference in my experience. I've got an old MTB I've converted to 1x, and rarely drop the chain. I fitted a narrow-wide chainring and am running the chain quite short.

Hmm, lot going on there. That's a wider range cassette than i have used with non-1x-specific kit. It could be that the derailleur spring isn't up to the job of taking up the slack in the smaller sprockets. Which end of the cassette are you dropping the chain? Also i guess you're using a 10 speed chain on a 7/8 chainring which is likely to be problematic.

Back