1999 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp

Walter":n6p47a55 said:
Does anyone have the owner's manual for this vintage Stumpjumper FSR XC, the Fox shock or the Manitou forks? My wife has one that we have owned since new and want to do a bit of refurbishing as well.

I believe it is a '99...photo attached.

Thanks.

I've provided Walter with scans of the Manitou, Fox and Specialized manuals, via PM. I did try posting them here, but the forum rejects .pdf or .zip files (and the page times-out if the upload isn't completed fast enough). Mods - is there a better way of adding this sort of content to the site?

As a comment on the bike itself ('99 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp), for a long time I was disappointed with the front mech adjustment. It just wasn't possible to adjust out chain rub on the front-mech - on the small and large chainrings, there would only ever be 2 ratios on the block that didn't lead to rub. The cause turned out to be incorrect spacing on the chainrings - significantly different to what the mech/shifter combo expected. Switching to an XT Hollow-tech transformed things and unlocked the full potential / enjoyment of the bike.

Chris

Holy thread resurrection.......just curious.....the incorrect spacing on the chainrings mentioned below. I'm assuming it had an aftermarket set? I can't imagine coming that way from the factory. Asking because I am picking up (today) a 2000 FSR XC for my son and I have never owned a Spec. Largely been a Cdale guy. Any help is most appreciated.

azureblue":kf62stgn said:
Walter":kf62stgn said:
Does anyone have the owner's manual for this vintage Stumpjumper FSR XC, the Fox shock or the Manitou forks? My wife has one that we have owned since new and want to do a bit of refurbishing as well.

I believe it is a '99...photo attached.

Thanks.

I've provided Walter with scans of the Manitou, Fox and Specialized manuals, via PM. I did try posting them here, but the forum rejects .pdf or .zip files (and the page times-out if the upload isn't completed fast enough). Mods - is there a better way of adding this sort of content to the site?

As a comment on the bike itself ('99 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp), for a long time I was disappointed with the front mech adjustment. It just wasn't possible to adjust out chain rub on the front-mech - on the small and large chainrings, there would only ever be 2 ratios on the block that didn't lead to rub. The cause turned out to be incorrect spacing on the chainrings - significantly different to what the mech/shifter combo expected. Switching to an XT Hollow-tech transformed things and unlocked the full potential / enjoyment of the bike.

Chris

Re:

It was one of Specialized's own, factory fitted from new. "StrongArm", possibly. Very deep arms when viewed from the side, but very narrow when viewed from above. Pretty sure I've still got them somewhere, so I'll get a calliper and/or camera on them later to quantify the mismatch in chainring spacing.

Chris

Re:

Thanks Chris......you know I have been shopping for a bike for my son and had to choose between a ride like the FSR XC (or similar) or pay a little more for a basic low end hard tail (new) from like Jamis, Cdale, etc. I just felt like if I could find a well kept vintage gem I'd rather go that route. I'm hoping it checks out because I'm pretty excited. Trying to learn all I can before going to see it today......it popped up on craigslist.

Ok, so now I'm seriously doubting my own reporting of the issue. I did manage to find the original cranks, but the mismatch in chainring spacing I was expecting isn't there. Switching from the Strongarms to Hollow-Techs did make a massive difference to the shifting though. Maybe it was a flex thing? I'm sure that on the original cranks, it would be rub-free only in 2nd, 3rd on the small chainring, maybe 3rd..7th on the middle and 8th, 9th on the big. Switching to Hollow-tech massively expanded the range in smallest and largest chainrings to something more like 1st..6th and 3rd..9th.

Anyway, there's a much less solvable issue with this frame - the chainstays are very prone to cracking behind the middle chainring:

http://imgur.com/a/oc46C

If yours is a year later than mine, it might be immune as I believe they made the hole through the chainstay bridge smaller. Mine has an 18mm hole, had a very easy life and still cracked at somewhere around 1200 miles. To keep it alive, I bought another frame to transplant the chain stay off (sadly, with the same large hole), but it's very much towards the "garage queen" end of the usage scale now. I thing the seat towers had a bit of a bad rep for breaking off too.

Despite appearances, I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just trying to help you to make an informed decision. If factors such as spares availability and robustness matter, I think I'd look elsewhere.

Chris

Beautiful rebuild man! I found myself a '99 FSR about 2 months ago. I've got big plans for it!
search

I had one of these BITD.

A 1999 FSR XC comp in blue, I had the BETD link too.

I bought it used ariund 2002, and added the OE sharkfin disc mount around 2003.

Never had any front mech problems, IIRC I ran E-type XT mech and deore hollowtech 1 square taper chainset.

I cracked the chainstay around 2005.

Specialized sent me another no problem. Have they run out? Have you tried asking?

I'm a bit late to the party... Just found a 1999 Stumpy FSR XC in my buddy's barn. I'd love to know where to source that fancy looking rear linkage... Is there a model # for the BETD link?

I'm just working on my '99 S-Works, and here's a dumb question: my front mech cage is dragging on the chainstay. Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Back