1998 GT STS-1000 / DS

JackBulldog

Retro Newbie
Hi Forum - I'm a new member here. Nice to meet everyone.

I have a 1998 GT STS-1000 / DS, which I purchased new back in 1998 (even have the original receipt).

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sJgRM12ydyTJ1wSJ6

The bike has been stored for the past 12+ years. Prior to that, someone 'borrowed' the bike, stole all the XTR parts that came on the bike, reinstalled with crappy SLX parts, then put it back into my storage unit. ...nice 'friend', ...long story :)

I'd now like to restore this bike back to it's original glory. I'm looking for the entire XTR groupset which came with this bike, ...I beleive it was the XTR 950 groupset. I could be wrong, here, as I'm still researching this.

Any input and/or suggestions to purchase this groupset would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Darren
---

Was the bike bought as a built up, catalogue model? Or was it custom?

Lots of people here find the original catalogue images and specs and work off that.

A nice alternative is to do a whole single shimano groupset with suitable quality finishing kit from a limited number of brands (eg syncros) from the right period.

Ebay is a good source and you can look at sold prices to get an idea of what it will cost you in your chosen condition.
And if you change your mind, you can resell and get your money back, mostly.

STS 1000 DS was XT M739 spec apart from rear mech as a catalogue build.

M950 would be correct as M952 came out in 1999.

Was the bike bought as a built up, catalogue model? Or was it custom?

Lots of people here find the original catalogue images and specs and work off that.

A nice alternative is to do a whole single shimano groupset with suitable quality finishing kit from a limited number of brands (eg syncros) from the right period.

Ebay is a good source and you can look at sold prices to get an idea of what it will cost you in your chosen condition.
And if you change your mind, you can resell and get your money back, mostly.
Thanks for the response.

The bike was bought new per cataluge model.

Yes, I'll start looking on ebay as well.

I plan to rebuild the bike and keep it, ...I've already owned it since 1998, so I want to hang on to it :)

Cheers!

Parts will be easy to get apart from the front brake , and saddle which may require a little patience

Parts will be easy to get apart from the front brake , and saddle which may require a little patience

I have some of the basics, i.e., frame, front forks, stem, headset, handlebars, seatpost & seat, and wheels.

I need the complete groupset, including crank, bottom bracket and hubs (current hubs that were reinstalled are crappy SLX).

Should be 'interesting / fun' trying to source and buy everything :)

Cheers!

We've got a White industries 3 bolt disc front hub nos iirc, might have the chainset and that front derailleur too - what's the rear hub?

Back