1998 GT Backwoods frame confusion

My mate bitd had a GT Backwoods exactly the same but in Cosmic rust colour, all we could assume was that they must have run short of 7005 and made some frames in 6061 to keep supply up...

im gonna throw so doubt into the mix here,picked up a backwoods yesterday which is looks to be the same as youes,raw frame exactly the same graphics with 6061 sticker on it in exactly the same place,and ive been wondering the same thing as you
6061 sticker or 6061 stamped?

sticker but im the second owner and i asked the guy if the decals had been changed and he said no,also after looking for an hour or so online i found 4 similar threads about backwoods with the same thing
What’s it stamped ?

sticker as just stated bud,checked the drop outs and nothing on them,but seems to be alot of cases of backwoods with the same thing

Every Backwoods or Avalanche I’ve had has always been stamped with alloy grade. If it was stamped 6061 then you would know for sure but it seems they never are stamped when folk are claiming to be something better.

Lots , and I mean lots of people buy stickers to make their bikes look or appear better than they are. The amount of mis stickered bikes I buy is uncanny.

I bought a “Zaskar” last year which the person was adamant they purchased new. It was a Avalanche in a frock.

I don’t doubt that manufacturers upgrade items when they run out of material. It’s cheaper than stopping production. Ford up-spec cars all the time in various ways if they run out of a item but it doesn’t mean the car is has gone up a level.

Every Backwoods or Avalanche I’ve had has always been stamped with alloy grade. If it was stamped 6061 then you would know for sure but it seems they never are stamped when folk are claiming to be something better.

Lots , and I mean lots of people buy stickers to make their bikes look or appear better than they are. The amount of mis stickered bikes I buy is uncanny.

I bought a “Zaskar” last year which the person was adamant they purchased new. It was a Avalanche in a frock.

I don’t doubt that manufacturers upgrade items when they run out of material. It’s cheaper than stopping production. Ford up-spec cars all the time in various ways if they run out of a item but it doesn’t mean the car is has gone up a level.
dont get me wrong ,im in no way trying to make it seem better than it was i paid £40 for it but was a bit stumped as all specs said 7005 and this has 6061 sticker on it judging by the state of the bike and what the original purchaser of the bike said the graphics havent been changed and after a tiny bit of research it seems i wasen't the only one to come across the same thing when backwoods were concerned,i really dont care if its 6061 or 7005 just intrested to know if there was any reason for it.seems kinda wierd that someone would go to the effort of changing the aluminum grade sticker's but leave all the other sticker original including the stickers telling you not to ride the bike without reading the manual?
just to add the original owner never even mentioned anything about the stickers.. i messaged him after purchase and asked if he had renewed them at any point because of the 6061 sticker....the state the graphics are in would indicate they are original tho

Last edited:
Back