1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Full Re-build......

abr303

Retro Guru
Going to cut right to the chase and jump right in with this full re-build of my '97 Stumpjumper M2 so it's pretty much straight to the finished article and completion pics.......

I'd normally document all the processes and progression as things move forward and include loads of piccies but it just didn't happen this time round (don't worry, I'm also working on an S-Works M2 also which will be better documented).

So a full strip down of the frame (18"c-t) with paint now amazing after a compound polish and wax, no dents or dings with just the odd touch up needed in spots with all the decals perfectly intact. King headset fitted, refurbished, polished and lubed a pair of RC36's including new decals courtesy of Gil @retrodecals. Polished and cleaned up all the XT M739 components, re-cabled (white outers) and set up. New chain, all period Specialized finishing kit, mint stem and bars with perfect logos, original Ritchey seatpost and Specialized bottle cage. Wheels are a combination of a Specilaized Stout front hub with super smooth bearings, an LX rear hub that has been serviced and greased, original Specialized quick release skewers, spoke tension and truing done where needed, so the Mavic 238's are running sweet then topped off with Specialized Dirt Control tyres finished off with a nice not too early Flite saddle and some ODI soft compound grips........
Enjoy the piccies :)

Frame: 1997 18" M2 6061/Metal Matrix Ceramic Composite

Fork: Pace RC36

Headset: Chris King No Thread Headset
Stem: O.E. Specialized
Handlebar: O.E. Specialized
Grips: ODI soft compound
Barends: n/a

Brakes: XT m739
Brake Pads: Aztec
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano v-brake
Brake Levers: XT M739

Shifters: XT M739 3 x 8
Front Derailleur: XT M739
Rear Derailleur: X M739
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: IG70 12-28T
Chain: IG70
Cranks: XT M739 175mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano IG
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: UN73
Pedals: n/a

Hub Skewers: O.E. Specialized
Rims: Mavic 236 silver 32 hole
Hubs: Specialized Stout front/ Shimano LX rear
Nipples: Ritchey
Spokes: Ritchey
Tyres: Specialized Team and Comp Dirt Control
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Ritchey
Seatpost Binder: O.E.

Weight: tbc.

P4DHqVPl.jpg

uJ6xGr3l.jpg

vmqoSPxl.jpg

shRQ4yOl.jpg

tSNJ6lol.jpg

NMQJxpul.jpg

fkgths6l.jpg

eTKRur2l.jpg

zR5l1Dil.jpg

9n5BgRZl.jpg

1e5ouqSl.jpg

eylvDOOl.jpg

lw2hIajl.jpg

nxoIFRbl.jpg

VFDZ1NYl.jpg

ESWYM5Xl.jpg

ciXhef1l.jpg

Beautiful, I can't get enough of these M2s and this is one of the best I've seen. Check out mine sometime and let me know what you think.

Beautiful, I can't get enough of these M2s and this is one of the best I've seen. Check out mine sometime and let me know what you think.
Thanks👍 Appreciate your kind comment. Like yourself I’ve always liked the M2’s…. I did own one back in the early 90’s which I raced on 👍 This one is up for sale now but have another one I’m building which I’ll unveil in the new year hopefully…. Bit more bling on it 👍

Back