1997 Specialized Rockhopper Team Red & Near Mint

Retro Newbie
I would appreciate some feedback on what folk feel would be a fare price for me to ask for my 1997 Specialized Rockhopper when I advertise it for sale? The bike is I believe all original and the condition is probably as good as it gets for a 24 year old bike? The frame is 18" from centre of crank to top of seat tube, which is how I believe Specialized measure their frames. I picked the bike up 2nd hand approx. 15 years ago, as I just love the team red livery and was full of good intentions to get myself off road a bit. However it is a bit small and I never made good on those intentions due to work and other excuses. Instead I have just stuck to the road and my Hybrid for exercise, with the Rockhopper living in the spare bedroom unused ever since. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_E3350.JPG
    IMG_E3350.JPG
    993.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_E3351.JPG
    IMG_E3351.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_E3330.JPG
    IMG_E3330.JPG
    733.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_E3332.JPG
    IMG_E3332.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_E3333.JPG
    IMG_E3333.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_E3336.JPG
    IMG_E3336.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_E3337.JPG
    IMG_E3337.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_E3339.JPG
    IMG_E3339.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_E3342.JPG
    IMG_E3342.JPG
    540 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_E3343.JPG
    IMG_E3343.JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
That is lovely! Rockhoppers are not rare, so that tends to diminish the price, but yours is in stunning condition, which tends to increase the price. I think that you could get something around the £150 mark for it given the outstanding condition. At the height of the pandemic, you could probably have got £200+ but prices have calmed down since then. If selling on ebay, I would set the starting bid at £100 and see what happens. You will see some on ebay priced at £400 or £500 but they don't sell so don't be fooled by those. If you could box up the bike for postage or for a courier to collect, you can expect more interest.

Lush bike and looks in mint condition. The way to get teh most money is to advertise on ebay with postage. You can get a bike box from your local bike shop. If you do not want the hassle of posting then I would advertise locally for £300 ONO.

That is lovely! Rockhoppers are not rare, so that tends to diminish the price, but yours is in stunning condition, which tends to increase the price. I think that you could get something around the £150 mark for it given the outstanding condition. At the height of the pandemic, you could probably have got £200+ but prices have calmed down since then. If selling on ebay, I would set the starting bid at £100 and see what happens. You will see some on ebay priced at £400 or £500 but they don't sell so don't be fooled by those. If you could box up the bike for postage or for a courier to collect, you can expect more interest.
Thanks for the feedback and your comments regards those pricing in hope are noted. Condition wise, it is exactly as it looks, if not better to be fair, which is what will hopefully give it appeal. Boxing the bike up will not be a major issue and I accept that being up in Aberdeen, eBay would likely be my best chance of getting a fair price from a wider audience. Thanks.

Lush bike and looks in mint condition. The way to get teh most money is to advertise on ebay with postage. You can get a bike box from your local bike shop. If you do not want the hassle of posting then I would advertise locally for £300 ONO.
Thanks and as I mentioned in reply to CassidyAce, I appreciate posting the bike will likely be my best option of getting a decent selling price due to the lack of population around here. That said, I do also agree that sticking it on the likes of Marketplace may be worth a punt before going the eBay route. Being old school I would actually prefer a buyer to come see the bike, be 100% happy, shake hands and leave happy. Thanks.

Very nice! I have one the same but 21" and not as original or quite as nice condition wise. They are great bikes, mine is in regular use and probably the bike I use the most at the moment. IMO late 90s stuff like this is yet to pick up value wise like early 90s MTBs, and Rockhoppers are not exactly exotica, but something like this is a really good compromise of retro-ness and usability with useful modern-ish stuff like an aheadset and V-brakes.

I'd say yours is £150 all day long to a local buyer/on here or £200 on eBay but by all means try for a bit more if you don't mind waiting for the right buyer.

1C3D3610-37F7-497F-ADDD-EEF2A3D745B0.jpeg

Very nice! I have one the same but 21" and not as original or quite as nice condition wise. They are great bikes, mine is in regular use and probably the bike I use the most at the moment. IMO late 90s stuff like this is yet to pick up value wise like early 90s MTBs, and Rockhoppers are not exactly exotica, but something like this is a really good compromise of retro-ness and usability with useful modern-ish stuff like an aheadset and V-brakes.

I'd say yours is £150 all day long to a local buyer/on here or £200 on eBay but by all means try for a bit more if you don't mind waiting for the right buyer.

View attachment 570156

Cracking looking bike and had the frame on mine been larger, I would by now have made the decision to keep it as I just love the livery. However sadly at 18" it's too small for me, I am to be fair happy with my rigid giant X1000 around town and further afield and so I need to let the Rockhopper go. I have kind of decided from yours and others responses that £200 is a fair price for all parties and so that's where I will pitch it first trying FB with £250 ONO so folk can knock me down. At the end of the day I would rather see it used and appreciated by someone, than try to pinch the last penny out of it when selling.

Last edited:
Back