Sold 1997 Kona Lava Dome 18''

primo

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Due to buying another Kona it is time to thin the herd and so my 1997 Lava Dome is up for sale.

Please see my build thread for full details of its history in my short ownership: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1997-kona-lava-dome.428593/

I will strip the LD down to the frameset and transfer most of the parts shown on the build currently to my Kilauea, The sale will include the following:

LD Frame,
original P2 fork,
Orbit MX sealed bearing headset (as new, ridden twice since build)
original stem (bolts replaced with new stainless hardware)
original race light bar
avid single digit levers & brakes
sram grip shift
extra set of Shimano rapid-fire shifters
STX front Mech
LX rear mech
original Mavic wheels (238 rims from memory) with Shimano hubs, wear consistent with age and free hub body would ideally need to be replaced as slips intermittently.
extra set of Mavic 221 wheels with lx hubs, wear consistent with age but perfectly usuable
7/8 speed used Shimano cassettes
original Sugino triple chainset, chainrings in good condition
mixture of Hutchinson slick & Conti tyres
new repro Kona chain stay from Retrodecals, not currently fitted

All the parts have been stripped down and thoroughly cleaned aside from the original 238 wheels as my initial intention was to rebuild the bike with the original parts but I replaced the brakes with xtr and then got carried away. it'll be supplied in component form as will be easier to ship that way without damage. The frame has many chips & scratches but is straight with no dents, its a good honest original paint frameset that as you can see from my thread builds into a lovely bike, looking for a fellow retrobiker to take this on and enjoy it as was intended.

The laborious jobs of stripping, cleaning, polishing, waxing are all done so would just need to be rebuilt as the new owner desires either using the original parts or sourcing others.

price is £230 including carriage within the UK (Ireland would be extra)

Before, as i got the bike:

1626871888879.png

After rebuild:

1626871941864.png

I’m interested in the frame if splitting as I also have to many bikes and 2 konas already, but my 97 lava dome is black decals as opposed to yours in yellow which I’d prefer. Shout if interested.

I’m interested in the frame if splitting as I also have to many bikes and 2 konas already, but my 97 lava dome is black decals as opposed to yours in yellow which I’d prefer. Shout if interested.

ideally i would like it all to go as one lot as saves me time & hassle moving everything individually, worst case i would sell the frame, fork & headset separately but it wouldn't be a lot cheaper than the asking price as I'm throwing in all the parts and wheels at minimal cost.

Back