1997 Kona Explosif

Mortonm

Kona Fan
Something wicked this way comes...

I do not have the bike yet, its coming across Canada, hopefully here in a week or so.

It is a 19" frame and appears to be in immaculate condition, but I will have to wait and see on its arrival. He was the original owner, so that is nice.

The cranks will have to be changed and the fork is likely going to go as well. It actually leaves me a bit of a dilemma which I know most will just answer to keep all 3 but I have a 1995 explosif (rigid) and a 1997 Kilauea SE (bomber). I am considering getting rid of one of these, likely the 1995. I really enjoy having a rigid bike so I am considering putting the P2 on this bike. Still deciding, willing to listen to opinions either way.

'95 Explosif

20210116-161753-2.jpg

'97 Kilauea SE

20210308-162258.jpg

Here are some pictures the seller sent me.

image0.jpg

image4.jpg

image7.jpg

image10.jpg

image8.jpg

You're the p2 swapper on facebook I guess 95 onto 97 bike.
Is that 95 not a smaller bike, I forget the rule but 18" for top tube hitting the top of the rear wheel... @Pipmeister ?

If so the P2 will not fit a 19" frame.

The '95 looks 19"

The '95 has the best tubeset of the 3 in my opinion, one of the best they used.

FluffyChicken said: I forget the rule but 18" for top tube hitting the top of the rear wheel... @Pipmeister ?
Straight line extended along Top Tube towards the rear tyre:
19” hits tyre,
18” just below rim,

A straight line along top of both tyres on an 18” transects the junction of Seat Tube, Top Tube & Seat Stays.

18" (and 17") 110mm Head Tube
19" 130mm Head Tube

Last edited:
Sorry to jump in... but if you decide to sell the 95 explosif? I’d love to buy it from you. I’ve been looking for a 19” for a while now. The gold ones a stunner too, look forward to seeing the build.

Sorry to jump in... but if you decide to sell the 95 explosif? I’d love to buy it from you. I’ve been looking for a 19” for a while now. The gold ones a stunner too, look forward to seeing the build.
I will keep that in mind, where are you located? I am in Canada

Oh no! I’m over the pond in the U.K. just my luck, I’ll just need to hang on till one comes up here. You’ve got three great frames there.

Back