1997 Kona Explosif - Mustard Color ID

its in better condition than my 1995 specialized rockhopper.

i would leave it as it is to show the patina.

i was going to respray mine but it deserves to show its history and battle scars.

anyone know of a product that i can spray over the top to make it shine ?

Part of me is there and I have a few projects on the go ahead of the Kona, but it does bother me how chipped up the paint is. I may Rat rod this and run a Project 2 rigid fork, have some fun with it as a beater bike.
My advice? Leave well alone. I wish I had with mine and I still cringe with the mistakes I made (see my build thread).

If you really want to experiment, and if that's a 19" frame, I will swap mine for yours. For real.

I reread the thread, and don't see any real issues you had with the paint, or touching it up. I quite liked your original build with the rigid fork, and chuckled how you went through the forks :D (if that's the mistakes you're referring to). As this is not a pristine example, I may just rat rod it and build it as an urban street fighter with the Project 2 fork. Its a 18.5 which is a bigger bike for me as I ride a 17.5, typically. With a 100mm SID, the bike feels a tad high to me. Or maybe it is best to build it as Front susp bike and just ride it with no care.. Time will tell. I don't want to repaint it due to the unique color, but the patina does bother me some, esp, since its not stories.

Well, simply I wish I'd never removed the original decals and messed about with the clear coat, as the thread describes. Also, I never built it with a rigid fork so I'm not sure if you've actually read my thread 🤣

Well, simply I wish I'd never removed the original decals and messed about with the clear coat, as the thread describes. Also, I never built it with a rigid fork so I'm not sure if you've actually read my thread 🤣
I thought I remeber the first picture you posted and is not show was the photo of it with a ridgid fork, I must have been mistaken and confused it with another Explosif build 😇 Safe advice however, thanks.

Last edited:
Back