1996 Kona Koa

Here's a belated latest picture.

Chain and cassette have been replaced. Front hub has now been disassembled, bearing replaced, re-greased and re-assembled.

Cranks have been polished too - I can see that polishing could get quite addictive!

I might even post a picture with the whole bike in focus soon...

I know that this is not a true restoration. Comments welcome good and bad.

Attachments

• 277432_10151179886710546_1152504959_o.jpg
    277432_10151179886710546_1152504959_o.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,127
Re:

Hi,

Thanks for your contribute. I confess I've read this post a couple of times before I bought mine, since this is one of the first results I get on a koa 96 on google. I was not quite sure that I could turn it into an appealing bike for me. When I bought it, it was completely original, appart from the saddle(left in a storage for almost 20 years). Old school, yes, like I wanted, but maybe a bit too much. In the end, I wonder if it justifies all the money that I spent on it, but it gives me pleasure whenever I ride it. I suppose your's a 14'', since mine is a 16'' and the welds/tubbing is placed distinctively. Your shares actually helped, so I would just like to say thanks for your undirect contribute/help.
I never liked grip shift so I've changed it to Shimano LX 3x7. New brake shoes, grips, ritchey classic saddle, alu giant pedals, continental sport contact, and inners and outers. Here's the final/current result.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG2169.jpg
    IMAG2169.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 752
Re:

great looking bikes, people ... nothing wrong with venturing off the strict, catalogue specific retro-rebuild format, and building em just the way you want them set up for your personal needs/use/taste!

ANTUNESABI,
Your ride looks good - the paintwork is in much better condition than mine!

Where are you based? What type of riding are you planning on doing? What did you pay for the bike?

Looking at my latest posted photo I realised that its out of date. My ride keeps changing. I have the sweetest little pedals (Wellgo M-111) shipped all the way from Taiwan, a rip off Bell and the tyres have changed again! Oh, and I still haven't fitted the replacement grips that I purchased a couple of years ago!

The modulation that I've been able to tune into the brakes is simply the best that I've ever felt on ANY bike. I love having to brake this bike.

Re:

Hi,
I know, It took me a while to get back to this, sorry.
By now I'm back home(Portugal), but at the time I was in Warsaw, Poland.
I've paid 100/120 euros for the bike, and spent some 160/180 to turn it the way it looks, in the picture.
Got over 10 retro bikes, now, but this one is my favorite Sunday ride. Simple, light and gorgeous.
Hope your's still around.
Cheers

My Koa, which I mentioned in a previous post; bought new in 96 and sold in 2001 to a friend. Well, it cropped up on ebay last year, still owned by the friend I sold it to.....so I bought it back :) Now 23 years old with only two careful owners, it's a bike I can't sell now. Much different to original spec and built for my 24 mileround trip commute, but only on dry days. Currently using Conti 1.3" slicks....it's pretty quick for an old MTB :)

Koa at work by Pumpkin's Belly, on Flickr

Turned out well nice

Here’s my tiny example to go with the other gold ones

Attachments

• 122FBF60-DABA-471D-9732-5B419184B02D.jpeg
    122FBF60-DABA-471D-9732-5B419184B02D.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 258
  • A2EDDF30-74AF-4EEB-AA08-71A258E07091.jpeg
    A2EDDF30-74AF-4EEB-AA08-71A258E07091.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 258
The bits that are hard to reach

After riding around with the bike in this state for 6 months I got the urge to fettle some more.

I always knew that the headset and bottom bracket needed attention. But I don't have the tools or expertise to remove them. So I outsourced the work.

The bottom bracket was replaced (upgraded) with a Shimano UN55 unit. The old unit had rusted into the frame and was, apparently, problematic to remove. Threads needing rechasing etc. Of course, now there is no play and the action is smooth as ever.

The headset was more problematic because of the low stack height. In the end I decided to just have it cleaned and the bearing replaced. The races are slightly pitted and could do with replacing. But I wanted to keep the Kona headset.

While the chainset was off for the BB replacement I had the granny ring removed. I then removed the outer ring myself. I found that I needed to pack out the installed stock Shimano STX chainring bolts with 2mm washers.

I'm amazed what a difference removing the chainrings has made. The bike 'looks' really different now.

Looking really good. No problems with jumping chain?

Really lovely Kona there. I love the paint schemes from then. I had a Lava Dome that I bought in Uni (must have been '97) and if I ever see one in good nick will buy it in a heartbeat. Proper little rocket of a rigid bike. Snapped the top tube of that one... ouch!

Back