1996 Kona Hahanna - Project Eat My Dirt

What I didn't mention is that his brother is a very good downhiller - sponsored by Yeti for a while I think. (May still be)

Well here it is, back from the powder coaters.

It seems I will paint a Kona white!!

null_zpsf73cff59.jpg

Rear mech supplied for the build cleaned up and ready to go on

null_zpsbdec5e44.jpg

null_zps40dabf6a.jpg

The things you do for friends.... ;-)

Hand polished cranks, filed, emeryed, 4 grades of wet and dry and final mirror polish with Peek.

null_zps9ddac158.jpg

If a jobs worth doing etc....

All finished! Delivered to the owner and he loved it. The build is geared towards a tough road/path bike for him to follow his kids around with. So tough wheels and 1.5" slicks with a bit of tread - reflective sidewalls look cool and stand out a bit too. Single 38t front DMR Saturn ring mated to a 11/32 9sp cassette is a useful range, DMR chain cage keeps the chain on! XT hubs on Mavic F519 black rims, with a NOS Deore cable disc on the front and a new rear V-brake on the back meant that matching levers could be used. Stem is the original 50mm tioga one matches with some 710mm low rise Sunn bars.
Custom bits include hand polished cranks, ground down fork crown to match headset size.

As it was the first (of many I hope) EatMyDirt themed bikes, it was resprayed white with black parts, and green accents to match the company colours. Green is very difficult to find in parts so it wasn't easy! But I did get some nice bargains to go on it:

Green FSA Headset - £19
Green Lock on grips - as good as ODI and only £4.50 new on eBay.
Green flexible V-brake pipe - tight routing at the back meant this helped a lot.
Green accented Charge Spoon saddle.
Greenish DMR V8's.

And of course to complete it Gil some Kona decals in the EatMyDirt colours - top job as usual and they look great on the bike.

The EatMyDirt company owner loved the bike so much he pinched it to take to the Tickhill races as he was sponsoring one of the races there, and he tried muscling in on one of the races on this bike!

It's loads of fun to ride and because it has a short top tube can be ridden like a BMX.

null_zpsbaaa0133.jpg

null_zpsf6434d51.jpg

null_zps27b5f24d.jpg

null_zps7dec2268.jpg

null_zps4a313883.jpg

Latest posts

Back