1996 GT LTS-2

I’d remove the scratch for sure.

I wouldn’t worry about reducing wall thickness as I’ve removed far worse from many a GT frame and never had issues.

Today it's sanding and polishing. I'm motivated now, but I already know that'll change after one and a half tubes...

So I have a fresh set of decals as a motivational. :D

There is one deeper scratch on the top tube. What would you guys do? Sand it smooth or leave it?
Pro: Better looks
Contra: Thinner tube. And the frame looses some of it's history.
"Contra: Thinner tube. And the frame looses some of it's history." I agree.

great thread so far! loving the effort in all the details and the bonus content of the bushings, BB and Judy bushings.

How's it looking now?

I'm sanding the frame. Or, more precisely, I should be. But I kind of got bored a bit, 'cos it takes so long..
So I'm basically waiting for the motivation bar to fill back up. :D

Out comes the upper bushing. I have a makeshift tool, that I've been using for the last few years.

It did not make it this time though. The corrosion inside the casting was just too much and the puller plate bent while pulling the lower bushing. I guess I'll have to make another one.
I should be glad it was the plate that gave away and not the casting. 🥵

Now the "fun" part: using a reamer to scrape the corroded insides of the casting.

No. It's no fun at all. But I won't be able to put in the new bushing otherwise.
Hi there, nice job. I m with same job. How did you manage to put the bushings again on the inside? Cheers

It's explained at the end of post #7 and there is a picture of the tool. (It is laying there together with the Mitutoyo caliper.

Hi Thias, this is a great thread. There is some skilled work gone into it so far. I am in the process of stripping my lots frame down. Please can you tell me how to remove the lower frame bushings and cones (above the bottom bracket)? I have removed the Allen head bout and the nut, but can not get the aluminium cones out.

How is the polishing going?

Thanks

One of the cones has a thread. You can use a bolt to pull that cone out. If it is seized, you can try and thread the bolt in from the opposite side, push or even us a hammer.

The polishing is... well.. let's say I got distracted :D

One of the cones has a thread. You can use a bolt to pull that cone out. If it is seized, you can try and thread the bolt in from the opposite side, push or even us a hammer.

The polishing is... well.. let's say I got distracted :D
Thanks for the reply. I thought this would be the case. Threads must be damaged in mine. The bolt just pushes straight through. I will have to come up with something else.

I can understand why you have got distracted, it is a laborious task! I have done a couple of sets of car wheels by hand in the past. Months of work!!

Back