1996 Cannondale Silk Road SR400

Hi,

I just bought me a Cannondale sr500 silk road bike.I took the bike for a spin and I hear klank when I go over bumps in the road.I decided to open up the fork to see what is the problem ,it has spring but I can't get out the plug completely.Im a new on working on suspension,does this bike have spring and elastomer? I'm assuming the elastomer is the part at the bottom?I'm also struggling to get it out.Please can you help as how you got yours out?
Afraid I can't remember how I removed all the headshok bits, I don't think I used any special tools though .
Have you tried adjusting the preload via the top cap?
If that's not it then it may be the elastomer section needs replacing .

Afraid I can't remember how I removed all the headshok bits, I don't think I used any special tools though .
Have you tried adjusting the preload via the top cap?
If that's not it then it may be the elastomer section needs replacing .
Thanks ,I managed to get it out though ...parts for the fork is really rare ,I managed to replace the spring and its feels much better.I am planning on restoring my Cannondale bike mostly on the looks (scratches and white rims )and the bike running in tip top order

If you haven’t found it already, and you need any more Cannondale specific advice, the forum at the Vintage Cannondale forum are also very helpful and knowledgable. Silk Road is going to be a minority sport though as most Headhoks were for mountain bikes.

Interested to learn that Silk Roads have the elastomer spring. I’d assumed they were like most MTB Headshoks with air springs/oil damping and a physical spring for rebound, but probably less to go wrong with the elastomer set-up :)

If you haven’t found it already, and you need any more Cannondale specific advice, the forum at the Vintage Cannondale forum are also very helpful and knowledgable. Silk Road is going to be a minority sport though as most Headhoks were for mountain bikes.

Interested to learn that Silk Roads have the elastomer spring. I’d assumed they were like most MTB Headshoks with air springs/oil damping and a physical spring for rebound, but probably less to go wrong with the elastomer set-up :)
Thanks for the reply and thanks informing me about the website ,they have much more information about the silk road fork for road bikes.I know its minority sport and its uncommon but the ride is really smooth ,I really want to get it in tip top condition .No bike shops have elastomers anymore

I think some of them did have the spring/hydraulic damping , I believe the one I had should have had that setup, but what I found was spring/elastomer, probably easier to repair and maintain the simpler versions I guess.

Back