1995 Specialized Rockhopper

Got the paint done and got it back in one piece. Found my hub spanner so set the hubs, removed the old bars and tapped the loose cables up and took it for a spin. It really does ride very nice indeed, for a bike that's 25+ years old and had clearly led an active life it rides like new.. Smooth, comfortable relaxed cruising position. Steers well, nothing seems out of place. Then you realise there's no brakes 😁 Mate popped round and had a go. Absolutely loves it said its just like a big bmx. He also said it 'looks factory like they should've made one'. I really like that👍 I'm chuffed to bits with it can't wait to sort the cables out, I'm going to try and do them using the bits I've got laying around. I've used the original rockhopper dia compe levers, they have alloy levers and plastic bodies which means they give abit as they are mounted on the curve of the bars. The alloy ones I wanted to fit won't do that. 20230624_211641.jpg
In other news, I did a tip run and accidentally came home with another bike. But I couldn't not. An Odyssey Merlin. 20230624_160013.jpg
Full of nice bits. Not sure what my plans are for it yet but it has parts I need for something else.

That's a Merlin Malt, not a bad bike by all accounts, I've rebuild one or two.
Cheers, abit of googling suggested it's not an oddessy (I know little about older bike brands) I was thrown by the sticker on the headtube. 20230625_133212.jpg
It's already donating its bits here and there.

Got the rockhopper finnished today. Fitted the brakes off the merlin. Front pads off the merlin, rear pads off a sirrus carbon pro I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Stops on a sixpence. 20230701_202020.jpg
Removed the front derailleur and two unwanted gears. Cleans it up nicely. 20230701_203756.jpg
The original twist grips were no longer suitable but I wanted to keep the rear gearset, picked up an old ladies bike with a suitable lever. Does the job. 20230701_203821.jpg
So no longer a mountain bike more a bmx cruiser. I'm happy to call it a hybrid. Either way it's a very smooth and comfortable ride built from little more than other people's rubbish. Needs afew minor bits like stem spacers to call it completely finnished but I'm just going to enjoy it as it is for now. 20230701_203917.jpg

Attachments

• 20230701_203917.jpg
    20230701_203917.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 3
Back