1994 Suntour ErgoTec Shifter experience?

It will be a few weeks before I get mine together to try them out. I have to get the wheels built and get the NOS Control Tech bar (Saturday) and rear derailleur (Friday) delivered.
I did put the NOS Accushift cables in them today. I need to find my scale to weigh them, but they are not heavy at all.

I rebuilt a Gazelle city bike that had one for the rear derailleur. It worked really well. It's like Shimano trigger shifters, but you don't have to remember which one is up or down. They're also superior to standard twist shifters, which are sometimes tough to grab, and have a sort of spongy feel. In all, the Ergotecs worked well for me. Fairly precise shifts (if not super fast), solid build quality, totally intuitive action.

I rebuilt a Gazelle city bike that had one for the rear derailleur. It worked really well. It's like Shimano trigger shifters, but you don't have to remember which one is up or down. They're also superior to standard twist shifters, which are sometimes tough to grab, and have a sort of spongy feel. In all, the Ergotecs worked well for me. Fairly precise shifts (if not super fast), solid build quality, totally intuitive action.

Great to have some feedback on them. Anyone else? I want to try them.

Great to have some feedback on them. Anyone else? I want to try them.
My pleasure. As indicated, I've only used a left-hand (rear derailleur) Ergotec. I'm not sure how the front would work, particularly for a triple chainring setup. The Shimano rapidfire works well because you can nuance things separately up and down, and on the front, the challenges aren't the same. For the Ergotec, the up/down aspects work via the same rotating toggle shifter (don't know what else to call it), which might diminish the ability to fine tune things. But what the heck, give them a try!

My few weeks turned into a few months.
Got the bike finished but haven't taken it out yet. On the stand, they seem to work fine with the XC-Pro front / rear derailleurs.
Also not heavy, but I forgot to weigh them.
Edit: From VeloBase.com
Weight:​
263 grams (Actual),
Both shifters, with uncut inner derailleur cable​
For comparison, M900 XTR brake/shifter pods weigh 663 grams, according to the old BikePro.com archives.

Last edited:
Back