1994 Roberts The Dogs Bolx

gtturbo

Senior Retro Guru
Late last year I picked up this Roberts from eBay. It had some curious component choices, such as RST forks, and was generally a bit scruffy. The owner had upgraded to a new Carrera !. Still I got it for a fair price and my plan has been to get it reprayed and trick it out with new or refurbished parts. However... the other day I got thinking. If I send the frame off to be resprayed it's realistically going to be the end of summer, if we get one !, before I get it back so why not for now at least just build it up with parts from the spares box and ride the thing. Then over the winter I can rebuild it as I want.

So here it is the first iteration. Not much is going to stay for v2. It looks OK from a distance. I will get some touch up paint for now and try to hide the worse bits. At least this way I can use it and don't care if it gets scratched.

Attachments

• 20210627_142805.jpg
    20210627_142805.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20210627_142818.jpg
    20210627_142818.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 75
First spin this evening and aside from a creak, most likely the unknown quantity BB that I left fitted, it seems good. Even compared to my modern 29er hardtail it seems quite quick. The same can't be said about the rider at the moment however.

And I got at least one laugh when someone clocked the name on the frame. Was actually waiting for some to say its offensive seeing as the world's gone mad these days.

Attachments

• 20210628_185212.jpg
    20210628_185212.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Nice to see you’re not afraid to get your BOLX out in public 😀
I agree, a bike like that should be ridden over the summer, then put in for some maintenance over he winter.

Back