1994 Kona Explosif

The world's slowest project creeps on, and keeps hitting brick walls. I was about to remove the Specialized suspension forks, got the big screw from the stem out, but the stem won't budge even after it's gone. The headset does screw off smoothly though, to the point where it meets the protruding part of the stem anyway. I've never removed suspension fors before, but I'm guessing this means that the stem is rusted into place? Or am I missing something obvious? The inside of the stem looks like this with the screw removed, so the rust theory seems likely.

IMG-20190106-215622.jpg

Re:

Rusted in indeed....

Bolt back in, just pinched up. Then..... flip it upside down an squirt penetrating oil down the fork steerer tube so the wedge is immersed and hopefully some magic happens. After about a week, flip back over, (shove a bit of rag up the steerer to stop the oil coming out) undo the bolt a couple of turns and give it a sharp tap. This should dislodge the wedge. Then wheel between your legs and try and rotate the stem..... fingers crossed!

NB: the whole lot will need to be cleaned up / de-greased after using penetrating oil.

Just put the bolt back in most of the way so a little is still sticking up. Give it a few taps with a mallet or gentle ones with a hammer and you should dislodge the wedge. Might also need to tap the actual stem left and right with a mallet to free the stem up a bit, but knock the wedge loose first.

Re:

The wedge came out of the Hahanna (currently sitting behind my shed) easily enough but the stem itself is rusted in place. Heat may free it - proper penetrant and a lot of leverage have done nothing.

Back