1993 S-works M2

Sspoor19

Dirt Disciple
There have been a handful of really incredible M2 team editions on here recently—this isn’t one of those. But they made me remember how iconic those bikes were in the 1990s. So when I saw a 1993 frame on eBay with a very low starting bid, I gave it a shot and somehow won it without any competition.
D31727B1-47BA-47C8-ADE9-F7429CA575D5.jpeg
I had planned on a slow build, but found a very suitable donor bike nearby in the form of a black M2 FS stumpjumper that had what must have been a “factory upgrade” of sorts: future shock fsx, an lx/xt mix, a titanium specialized bb, specialized crankset, grey wtb/team saddle, titanium spindled pedals, umma gumma tires, xl 21 rims and ti skewers. Basically, “the works” and most of what I’d want to build onto the red frame. Not sure if that parts kit was widely applied to stumpjumpers but it shows how comprehensive specialized were—everything but the shifters, mechs and brakes/levers has their name on it.

The donor bike was sporting some massive, newer shimano replacement units so I’ve subbed in grip shift and the weird diacompe levers that Ned used. I may change all that, and the brakes, in due time.

The only downside is the size—it’s a large, so 20” I think, and a couple of inches too big for me, so may just be a bike I lend to some of my (taller) friends; kit could ultimately be destined for an S-works frame in a smaller size (and maybe in steel—this is my first aluminum bike).

But I do like looking at it—reminds me of watching and reading about those specialized teams in the 90s, going to norba races, and that whole time period when things like “M2,” titanium anything and front suspension were new ideas.

7AC4BAB8-D092-4DA0-B289-0A75E7D0EFD2.jpeg
F7F23FC7-9800-4A3A-BAD9-CDC1B9FD09FC.jpeg
5995E26D-3C45-41B2-9189-128E11EDBD69.jpeg
32546751-FF42-44C9-AFE7-B99A027BBE08.jpeg

You got real lucky with the donor bike to get all those parts! Loving the end result, that’s a great M2 you’ve got yourself.

Thanks, definitely lucky. In my area, Craigslist remains undefeated as the top place for really nice bikes that weren’t ridden much. In 1993, how do you buy something as seemingly specific as a stumpjumper with a bunch of top end parts and decide not to ride it—or at least not enough to have worn through the original (extra soft) tires?

It was interesting to see the differences between the two m2 frames—the s works model has tapered seatstays and lower profile bridges at the seat and chain stays; the stumpjumper is a little chunkier (though it seems well made and is pretty light). I’m sure there are other differences, too but those jumped out.

Attachments

• F0E5EE62-3553-48D7-B9AB-0331DE0C47B5.jpeg
    F0E5EE62-3553-48D7-B9AB-0331DE0C47B5.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 7E3AC61F-04E6-482C-A85C-3C0B3E64EAD3.jpeg
    7E3AC61F-04E6-482C-A85C-3C0B3E64EAD3.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 29
This is glorious!

Wow.

And the dream saddle too!

Let me know if you ever find it too uncomfortable and need to sell it to get something fancy and new! ;)

Brilliant build mate. Congrats! What a donor bike find!

Where abouts are you located for such a gem of a Craigslist? Actually, don’t share that info with any of us!

This is glorious!

Wow.

Let me know if you ever find it too uncomfortable and need to sell it to get something fancy and new! ;)

Where abouts are you located for such a gem of a Craigslist? Actually, don’t share that info with any of us!
This is glorious!

Wow.

Hey it’s mostly your fault I bought this frame and built this bike! Great thread . I’m in NYC so constantly searching the Craigslist ads of the surrounding metros. This one came from northern New Jersey. Saddle was probably the most attractive part of the donor (that and wheelset) but it is NOT comfortable.

Ha. Well, I'm glad to be of service!

As for that saddle: you should definitely "upgrade" it then! More than happy to help with that too ;)

Sounds like I left NYC at the wrong time. All the gems were out in Jersey all along!

Back