1993 Raleigh Peak

Re:

Crusader":nipmqjha said:
Am surprised you can get a 27.2 in there... 27.0 is spec. Look forward to seeing yours built up. I thought about a touring bike conversion with my 21" 1992 Apex on account of its size, but after getting the tyre choice right (in my eyes), it looks grand as it is. The 93 Peak has nice components - nothing I would want to change..

I agree, the spec is nice - much better than many Raleighs of a similar era, and I’ll only be changing stuff that’s worn out or damaged. I use the term “touring” loosely, what I mean is, fit some road friendly tyres and a period pannier rack. I’ll keep the bars, and probably stick some bar ends back on.

Got a black 27.0 seatpost on its way. Glad you’ve confirmed that’s the correct size. :)

27.0 seatpost arrived. It pretty much falls right in. Seems too loose to me. I think the frame is 27.2...but will clean it up and see.

Re:

Interesting. I have two 27.0 posts that are too tight to install in my Apex and my old Peak frame only just takes them with some wiggling. Have you checked the new stem with a pair of calipers? Can you see the 8 splines at the bottom of the seat tube btw?

Re: Re:

Crusader":crd0uqlc said:
Can you see the 8 splines at the bottom of the seat tube btw?

Oh yes. Are the splines a K2 thing?

I’ve remeasured everything and it seems that the seatpost is perhaps a little on the slim side. Maybe 26.9. A cyclo measuring gauge indicates that 27.0 ought to be the correct size seatpost for the frame - the inside diameter of the tube measures as 27.2 exactly.

Been having a fiddle with this today... got the pukka back wheel now so mega karma and big respect to Mr Ox for that.

Avenir seatpost from eBay fitted. It’s a bit loose for my liking but I tried a 27.2, it went in but is probably too tight. Seems to be the way with all my projects at the moment. The “perfect” seatpost eludes me... Maybe I’m getting fussier. The more you know, the less you know.

I might try to get it just about rideable ASAP without doing a full rebuild. For starters trying to decide whether to put knobblies or slicks on it...in either case it will be something grottyish from the shed... also whether to take the mudguards off or not. I asked the kids to make the decision for me and they both said the opposite thing.

Longer term inclined to go as close to catalogue spec as possible without really spending any money. I’m well chuffed with the 708 tubed Raleigh Royal I bought off LGF so I don’t really need a tourer any more... but given the similarity of the tube sets I’m interested to see how this rides.

Anyone got a cheap/free saddle?

Attachments

• 2AF7A4BC-B973-46C2-BAED-06EED6EFE6DD.jpeg
    2AF7A4BC-B973-46C2-BAED-06EED6EFE6DD.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 257
Ah dude, jealous much.
I had one of these in 1993. Mine was 18" frame though. Really loved that bike.
There's a picture of me somewhere standing with it in the garden.
Vetta SL saddle I think came with it.

Latest posts

Back