1993 Off-Road Team Toad

Looking great Adrian 😎

Those green zip ties and black tape need the boot tho! 😜

Thanks Mike. I agree about the green zip ties but the black hockey tape was the go to chainstay protector, particularly in that part of the world, back in the day

Geez, What a great frameset. You folks across the pond present these builds with great back stories and through help & encouragement of other forum members, is such a great bonus. The level of respectfull feedback here in the US has fallen off IMO which is why I always look forward to threads like this One. All the best in sorting out Your Toad, well worth the fun ! Green Bikes are dead , all hail theGreen Bike!

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 58
Looking good Adrian! Hope you get to keep the grips. Personally I often buy colour matched grips but end up ditching them in favour of my go-to black oury.

Hmm… green oury for the toad?

Geez, What a great frameset. You folks across the pond present these builds with great back stories and through help & encouragement of other forum members, is such a great bonus. The level of respectfull feedback here in the US has fallen off IMO which is why I always look forward to threads like this One. All the best in sorting out Your Toad, well worth the fun ! Green Bikes are dead , all hail theGreen Bike!

Not to derail Raidan's thread completely (bike is looking amazing mate, and I personally love the hockey tape; a lovely touch! I do agree on black grips tho...) but...

WHAT A BIKE!

Can we see more @hud?

I'm based in the US, and I do agree that this place, the care and attention and support, really sets this forum apart from other (online) communities I've encountered in the US.

Seems like bikes and bike forums tend to reflect the politics and polarization over here a little more...

Although, to be fair, people can be total d***s on here too!

Thanks @hud. I've joined a few biking forums over the years and I've found none to be as friendly and welcoming as Retrobike overall. I note you've been a member here for longer than most but haven't posted a great deal. I too would like to see more of that lovely fillet brazed dirt drop machine.

-Thank You for the offer, did not intend to in any way take away from the Toad presentation, it is indeed a stunner, I've seen so many here at RetroBike over the Years and always have an eye to learn from others about the early bikes, especially from where I grew up (Santa Cruz and the Bay Area of Northern California). The bike in question is an '87 Otis Guy and will gladly provide it's back story as it is quite cool. I got the inspiration to configure it into this Drop Bar from a couple of builders who I admire that run the Vintage Mountain Bike Collectors Society forum. I'm a bit late to the dance as DD's go, but with this frame, sort of had an E-Ticket to start the ride! Here it is in It's original, fresh from paint state, luckily, I still have the original FB stem to run it as a flat bar. Cheers, Paul

Attachments

• Otis #2.jpg
    Otis #2.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 34
@hud You should really start a build thread for this bike.

I'm sure many of us would love to see and read more about it.

I would love an Otis Guy one day, so I would love to see your process and read more about how you got it and what you've done to it.

There's a lovely/tempting one on Craiglist right now, but the Halloween paint job is sort of putting me off.

Oh, and the price!

The 7 hour drive to collect it from Marin is actually kind of appealing tho... Any excuse to get back up there!

Thanks @hud. I've joined a few biking forums over the years and I've found none to be as friendly and welcoming as Retrobike overall. I note you've been a member here for longer than most but haven't posted a great deal. I too would like to see more of that lovely fillet brazed dirt drop machine.
I have reached out to the original owner who happens to live in my town and will ply him to help w/back story and will see where that leads. He is a member of the MTBHOF so I'm sure he has great memories of the early days. The paint on this Otis is not original, though it was done in '89 (when the bike was just 2 Years old) by someone who apparently was mainly painting guitars for Rock & Roll artists (Eddie Van Halen,etc) and it actually glows a bit of sparkle at night. Tough to leave it or bring the original scheme back as the original shop (D&D) is still at it I believe. Current paint has a bit more "patina" for my tastes. Enjoy the Toad !

Back