1993 Kona Hei Hei (finished pics page 3)

shamobius

BoTM Winner
I have had this frame in the build queue for over a year now, and have patiently collecting parts for the build. I managed to find a titanium P2 fork for it, but it was just a few mm too short for my 19" frame's head tube! I looked in to having the fork's steer tube extended, but it was going to be exorbitantly expensive, and altered forever. The better option was to trade for another, longer ti P2. Luckily Ashok was in a wheeling and dealing mood, and we came up with a win-win swap. I finally had a fork that would fit the frame, and I had no more excuses for delaying the build. Also, with Toxik Harald's Show n Shine just around the corner (May 5th), with a titanium theme to boot, it was time to shake a leg!

1992 Kona Hei Hei by shamalama88, on Flickr

Re: 1992 Kona Hei Hei

The frame had been partially polished by a previous owner, and I spent some time on it with fine steel wool to get the finish back to a more uniform semi-matte finish. Then I cleaned off the residue with acetone and worked up the courage (scotchety scotch) to apply the decals that my friend shauno had provided (from Gil_M). I started off using a wet transfer, but soon realized there were so many smaller individual letters and shapes to each decal that it was going to be a nightmare with everything sliding around that I just went for it, lined them up and hoped for the best. I was relieved when it was over, and everything turned out well enough. Phew! To me that can be the most nerve-wracking part of a build...

Re:

Well done on finding a suitable pair of Ti Project Two forks. I think that it is harder to find the correct fork steerer length to fit the 130mm Headtube length on the 19" frame. These forks are rare, but I assume that more pairs were made for the 17" and 18" frames, which share that same Headtube length.

Would you be willing to reveal the serial number of your frame? For a while now, I have been compiling a list of Kona Titanium frame serial numbers. If you would prefer the www not to know, then you could always send me the number in a PM, and I will not disclose it anywhere.

Meanwhile, you may find this topic rather interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=396211

Pip.

Re:

Thank you very much. Your serial number is the earliest 19" 1992 on my list, which all helps with trying to figure out how the sequence ran.

Looking good so far with the forks in place - I'm looking forward to see this built up.

Pip

Re: 1992 Kona Hei Hei

You know I will M-Power ;)

Progress photo. I had to come up with a noodle for the stem. First attempt failed with the noodle crimping, but to be fair I was lazy. Second attempt I did it properly. Filled a v-brake noodle with sand to get a decent bend with crimping and collapsing the tube. Not perfect but I am happy with it. Excelsior!!

brake cable noodle fab by shamalama88, on Flickr

Back