1993 KHS Montana Comp project

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
I’ve been waiting for one of these to crop up at sensible money after seeing the one(s) Monkey Shred has done.
Such a pretty bike in the blue and pink, and nicely specced too.
29AE8A91-4206-48A1-A2C9-9A888C961E19.jpeg
Collected this one from Cambridge this afternoon, it needs a re-commission and some of the parts swapping out for the original spec bits (when I can find some).
I’ll be stripping this down shortly and selling on the stx rc v brakes, levers, shifters and possibly the wheels (or just the hubs), that’ll help fund putting it back to stock.
Not sure on the forks either, I really need some 1” spinner rigid forks to help complete the look.
Probably going to be one of those projects that ticks along in the background as/when parts crop up but I’m looking forward to getting it done and riding it.

Thanks, yep they’re original fitment. Need some m560 brakes and sti units 🤞

Last edited:
196E1A40-6D20-4E01-B327-9B2AE32E24BD.jpeg
Got the frame stripped down, cleaned and polished. Only real issue was the non-drive crank arm was seized onto the bb. A bit of heat and wd40 solved that though. 😅
I had a couple of Deore LX Parralax hubs knocking about on mis-matched rims so I left the Ritchey Vantage on the front one and found a similar profile rim in my spares to build the rear up. Not exactly a matched set as the front is 32H and rear 36H but close enough. Rear is a M565 (they should be M560) but.. that means I can run 8 speed, and I have some M737 sti units I can use so that should work out for now until the oe stuff crops up.
7BDF6BE3-7E75-4BC0-AA08-FA10FE3F51A8.jpeg
I was initially sceptical about the RST forks but after a strip down and clean they seem ok, again at least for now. I even found some new gaitors in the shed which came off an old set of Judy’s and they fit a treat.
Everything from here on in is just reassembly so no major issues expected. I have a nice Ritchey seatpost in the correct size I could fit, some Tioga terra-firma tyres which should look cool.
I will keep the updates coming, can’t wait to actually ride it. 😀

Eyyy good to see another KHS! I love mine ;)

I might have the shifters and cantis if you're still after them bud?

Got this assembled today, I couldn’t resist fitting these tan-wall Tioga’s once the components started going on, they just pop compared to regular black tyres.
145BC630-5872-4261-A860-91BCB34D3C6D.jpeg
The test ride was... disappointing. But only because I’d fitted an 8 speed cassette which I laboriously cleaned only to find it was worn beyond re-use. :mad:
Cue chain skipping chain and clonking noises once I was a mile or two from home. :LOL:
Anyway, I’ve fitted a decent cassette now and diagnosed/fixed a slightly bent front derailleur, and... she’s a peach.
6F5BB041-2073-4602-9065-4C5118371F78.jpeg
The Ritchey seatpost had been waiting for a new home in my spares box for a good while and the SDG saddle looks decent and is pretty comfy too. DX canti’s for now, they’re the closest thing I had spare that suit the age/spec of the bike.
E6762158-49C2-4C3F-9498-3C59ACE8EA30.jpeg
I was waiting for a bike to use the XT STI’s on for a while, they been messed with by whoever had them before to get them to work with canti’s. That and the R/H one has had the mounting clamp drilled through and a nut and bolt used instead.. I swear that wasn’t me,, some people eh?
Anyhow, they work a treat and suit the slightly scruffy appearance of the bike overall so can’t complain (I mean - it wasn’t expensive to buy anyway), it’s a nice one to use and not worry too much about.
Happy days.

Back