1992 Orange Clockwork purple/orange fade

Re:

Looks lovely. Are you going to enter it in this months BOTM? It'll fit the brief perfectly!

As for the saddle, I'll buy it back off you for my Prestige if you sell. ;)

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3m9fkjds said:
Looks lovely. Are you going to enter it in this months BOTM? It'll fit the brief perfectly!

Glad you like it... Yeah, did think of entering it for BOTM - seems an ideal candidate as you say - trying to use that as an incentive to get it finished!

Re the saddle - cool - I'll drop you a PM if I'm getting rid. Was kind of planning on stashing all the original bits but I suppose there's no need to be sentimental. The tyres are taking up room in the shed too... :|

bluetomgold":1ve8o7n3 said:
brocklanders023":1ve8o7n3 said:

Glad you like it... Yeah, did think of entering it for BOTM - seems an ideal candidate as you say - trying to use that as an incentive to get it finished!

Re the saddle - cool - I'll drop you a PM if I'm getting rid. Was kind of planning on stashing all the original bits but I suppose there's no need to be sentimental. The tyres are taking up room in the shed too... :|

The only reason we’re here is sentiment Tom! :LOL: No harm in keeping everything but you have a market if you want to get rid.

More than likely get my vote too although I did recommend the poll to the member I just sold my mint 89 Saracen Trekker to so I could have a conundrum!

Re:

I just rode it around the block! :cool: Love it! Apart from some final tweaks and a pair of bar-ends it's basically done... Gears work brilliantly, it handles ace and is nicely subtly different to my C16R - feels like it wants to be thrashed. :D

I'll take some better pics in the week. It's going to be really hard to keep this clean over winter. I want to show it some winter mud! So why did I bother cleaning everything so obsessively? :facepalm:

Had a battle with the brakes. I love and hate setting up cantis in equal measure. It's a great feeling to get them spot on but I invariably spend ages fiddling about to get to that point (or not).

The cheap new link wires are poor quality and the castings needed cleaning up with a file before use (see before and after pic below). Not sure whether to revert back to straddle wires of some sort.

Anyway in the end they are stopping really well (much better than when I got the bike) but I couldn't get them to centre properly - seems like the springs are uneven tension and the adjuster screw didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Maybe i fitted the springs wrong... Front and rear brakes are both suffering from the same issue but on opposite sides. I dunno. Maybe I'm being fussy. :|

Attachments

• DSCF9902.jpg
    DSCF9902.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCF9899.jpg
    DSCF9899.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 503

bluetomgold":1hwh448b said:
but I couldn't get them to centre properly - seems like the springs are uneven tension and the adjuster screw didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Maybe i fitted the springs wrong]

I had this recently with the M651s I put on the front of the Peugeot I built up for my nephew. I found that on the side with less tension, where the adjuster screw didn't seem to be working, the C-shaped washer inside had rotated, so it was not in the correct alignment, hence the lower tension and the fact the screw wasn't engaging with it, so that could be something to check.

kingoffootball":22kigbr0 said:
bluetomgold":22kigbr0 said:
but I couldn't get them to centre properly - seems like the springs are uneven tension and the adjuster screw didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Maybe i fitted the springs wrong]

I had this recently with the M651s I put on the front of the Peugeot I built up for my nephew. I found that on the side with less tension, where the adjuster screw didn't seem to be working, the C-shaped washer inside had rotated, so it was not in the correct alignment, hence the lower tension and the fact the screw wasn't engaging with it, so that could be something to check.

Cool yeah you could be right. I packed them with grease while fitting which makes aligning the springs fiddly - maybe I'll clean them out again and have a look. And next time I'll install without grease!

That is looking really nice :xmas-cool:

I think a black saddle would look better, and looking at the stem i would be tempted to put all black components on it too to really show off the frame, if it were mine that is :)

suprised at the quality of those link wires :shock: im sure you could find some better ones somewhere.

great bike!

mark

Back