1992 Corratec 2005 drop bar conversion

And a proper drive side shot.

IMG_20220413_113433_522.jpg

I think I am getting better at taking these photos. Here, when I took the shot, the handlebars were actually at the center of the frame so that the left side almost disappeared behind the right side, and I was way back. So the bike was actually in the lower left hand corner of the frame, and I cropped it out.

Getting the cable routing for the rd was tricky, and it's still not perfect. Shimano, in their typical overly precise theory driven style, says the housing should be exactly 5mm longer than the distance between the frame stop and the derailleur stop, and the swing arm should be all the way forward. That's actually a lot of cable strain in that pulley there, but I guess if you are running XTR, you have a team mechanic and an unlimited supply of teflon-coated stainless steel cables lubricated with unicorn tears provided by your sponsor. Right.

IMG_20220413_113454_587.jpg

And yeah, you counted right: I'm running the stock 7 speed 14-32 cassette. Yikes. Remember there is still 5% left to sort out? It's the best 7 speed shifting I've ever experienced, but I am either going to switch in an 8 speed freehub assembly or build up an 11-32 7 speed cassette out of an 8 speed spare I have. 14 teeth as a high gear is not enough, especially with just 32 teeth in front. I'm out of shape, but not that out of shape :)

Good looking frame with nice XTR component choice....

But....Sorry this is my view but what is the point of putting drop bars on a mountain bike? Are you not hindering the handling and control using drop bars? the whole thing just doesnt look right to me.

But....Sorry this is my view but what is the point of putting drop bars on a mountain bike? Are you not hindering the handling and control using drop bars? the whole thing just doesnt look right to me.
Oh, this gets philosophical fast.

I was a roadie originally, and I don't like flat bars, so there is that. My bikes all have either drops or albatross style bars.

But also, there are people trying to recreate Cunningham type dirt drop racers, like @Tsundere and his Cunningdale projects.

Mine is set up more road bikey, kinda a little like Tomac, but not for racing, with road bars and brake levers in a position roadies would use.

I find it gives me a lot of hand positions, a ton of leverage for climbing--i do a lot of climbing. I find that there is no loss of control in the hoods position on technical terrain. There is, as i said, a lot of leverage in the set up.

But i ride long and steep forest/mountain/gravel roads ( i guess that's what it's called now) and this gives a nice fast position with all the advantages of 2.1 inch 26 wheels. The bike is nimble but rolls over everything. It keeps up with the gravel bikes on the climbs and just kills them on the downhill. Not that im competitive ...ok a bit.

But also, its a technical challenge and I get a kick out of solving technical problems that I am entirely and solely responsible for creating ;)

Check out the DB conversion thread...there is some philosophy mixed in there. oh yeah. i need to put a pic up there.

Last edited:

Also there is an entire early period in mtb history where drop bar bikes were not that uncommon. And i get a kick out of choosing the tech that no one else chose--see drop bar mountain bikes and rapid rise derailleurs :)

thats fair, each to their own of course. I come from the other end of the spectrum, never owned a road bike, only mountain and whenever i have riden a road bike i have always felt really vulnerable as I feel more in control with flat bars with the brakes where i can get them. I ride a lot of gravel as well, on boht 29ers and 26ers, but then fully take advantage of all the trails too whcih is for me where the fun is :)

and yes....Rapid rise......what were shimano thinking!

@The Kilt , I got so into answering about drop bars i forgot to say thanks for the compliment.

I thunk one thing so great about the 1990s was the choice people had in the bike market. There were a lot of options and that has just shrunk since...

When I get on my road bike, it feels super twitchy in comparison, and I don't ride it all that often any more. So they are very different beasts, and neither is perfect, or best at everything for sure!

Last edited:
Old thread, but worth a try.. someone gave me the exact bike for free, and i believe it's the same size - the 2nd biggest, 53cm.
May i ask how tall you are? I'm 1,86 and i wonder if the frame is too small for me... Also, the drop bar conversion looks appealing, but i'd like to keep the original stem in the same colour as the frame.

Back