1992 Claude Butler Cape Wrath - the other teal one.

Heavy

Retro Guru
Yesterday I continued my tradition of buying bikes that are way too small for me when I picked up this Claude Butler Cape Wrath. I haven't owned a CB since I bought a Pagan in the early 90's. At that time I really wanted a Kona, so was never particularly enamored with the brand, but this little gem has changed that.

This Cape Wrath has clearly had little use and looks great with its teal paint and black forks/stem. When Peachy, who owns the same model, mentioned the metallic paint, I thought he must be mistaken, because yesterday evening and first thing this morning I would have sworn that it was a solid colour. But then the sun came out, a lighter blue iridescence appeared, like a shimmer that moves around as you look from different angles. It is most noticeable around the thinner tubes of the rear triangle. Add in a liberal dose of shiny Deore DX and I think this bike is pretty cool.

I've given it a half decent clean without stripping it down and I think its looking lovely - I'm much more smitten with it than I expected to be.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 379
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 382
Re:

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 368
Re:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 366
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 365
Re:

Great isn't it Prezza, I got it from Newton Aycliffe.

Once again I've tried to persuade my missus to have a retro bike, and once again she's said she lines her anonymous Trek. :cry:

Re:

Looks nice, tyres don't seem to look right in it, needs a set of FJC's really

and I'm also guilty of just buying bikes that are too small for me, just sucked in by retro appeal :LOL:

Re:

I do it all the time :D

Tyres are cheap - I think oem it had Wonder Wawgs on. I sold some as new about six months ago :?

My Spectre was Trail Dawgs post the Farmer John tractor tyre skids era.

It was the 'grello' 1992 model with 500LX. The 531 Magnum sticker was all that remained after about 10 minutes of ownership. It did get some MG20 on it too

Oh proper job! That’s come up lovely...... :D

Your photos are good but you know the Pearlescent Aqua looks even better in the flesh.... :cool:

Got to say yours does look in better condition than mine, but I do still have the original all black Wonder Dawgs ;)

Quick, stick it in BotM for fun.... you know you’ve got my vote

Peachy!":1xqbupt1 said:
Oh proper job! That’s come up lovely...... :D

Your photos are good but you know the Pearlescent Aqua looks even better in the flesh.... :cool:

Got to say yours does look in better condition than mine, but I do still have the original all black Wonder Dawgs ;)

Quick, stick it in BotM for fun.... you know you’ve got my vote

BotM CB MTB Speshul!

There was a little hardcore of us that kept the CB brand torch despite the onslaught of GT, Kona and Cannondales.

Back