1992 cinder cone headset

Picked up a Cinder Cone frame, fork and stem which I’m stripping and repainting (it was properly properly rough)

It needs a headset. I’m a bit more knowledgable on modern bike set ups, so wanted to confirm options on this bike?

It’s got a Project 2 fork and Velocity quill stem, with a 1 1/8th threaded fork. Was originally fitted with a Joe Murray Impact headset I believe, but these seem like rocking horse poo from some exhaustive searching!

I believe I need a low stack headset, does any know of anything half reasonably priced that would fit the bill for this please?

Cheers in advance - have had a good search on here and couldn’t find anything conclusive :)

Re:

There's a discussion on this here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57127
I measured my own Impact headset at about 40 mm which seems to fit with published info e.g. http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/he ... _hset.html But if i was you I'd measure steerer and head tube and see exactly how much space is available for the headset.

I was in a similar situation with '92 Explosif and recall that some of the Tange Seiki and Ritchey headsets had low stack heights. I ended up using the top half of the Impact with the lower half of another set (lower Impact race was bad but upper was ok). Guessing you don't have the original Imapct at all?

Re:

Also worth posting on the wanted section here for an Impact - they're not that rare, but many are likely to be pretty rough.

Re:

Thanks Jon - typically I have just ordered a NOS Shimano Deore LX from the bay. It was recommended in another similar thread to the one you posted.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=373225

Plenty of length on the steerer so should be good, will probably need to shorten it a fair bit if anything.

Just need to get a pair of come spanners now, do you happen to know the size of these for the above headset or are all the locknuts a standard size?

Back