1991 Orange Aluminium O.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Having taken a bit of a retro break recently and not really been interested in adding to my collection I obviously stumbled across this and the game starts again!

It's a 1991 Aluminium O that I picked up yesterday from a nice chap called Mike. He told me that he bought it off the original owner around 1992 and didn't really change much on it. My interest was pricked by the condition of the frame as I believe not many orange/white O's remain with decent paint as the original finish was prone to flaking and many went back to Orange for a warranty re-paint in silver or black.

It certainly shows signs of use and has a bit of bubbling here and there but overall is a great example. The groupset is a typical early 90's Orange pick and mix with XT, DX, XC Pro, SS5's and possibly some LX canti's. The original owner was obviously up on new tech as they added not just Rockshox RS1's but a Flexstem too!! Need to work out how to get in to the RS1's to see if they hold air.

As for plans..... Mike was very happy the bike was going to an enthusiast so I don't want to stray too far from the current build. I might remove the Flexstem if I can find an Orange Stalk to replace it, will probably swap the saddle for an Orange branded one I have, swap the grips for more period correct and fit amber walled tyres. The rear hub needs a service too so I might swap the wheels for some Hope on 231's I have and see how it looks. We'll see and progress may be slow as I still have not got round to cleaning up the early Clockwork I bought in the spring or finished building the mint 92 Clockwork!

Photo 21-10-2022, 14 53 17.jpg Photo 21-10-2022, 14 53 23.jpg Photo 21-10-2022, 14 53 30.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 13 06.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 13 15.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 13 29.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 13 45.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 13 51.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 13 56.jpg Photo 22-10-2022, 10 14 05.jpg

Thats nice mate. I do like the earlier Oranges. RS1's are pretty easy. Pop out the plastic cap at the top of each stanction and then as you probably know the pump used what looked like a football needle. I guess as a test a football needle in a normal shock pump would allow you to get a bit of air in and see what happens. I forget the pressure range but don't go to mad.

Thats nice mate. I do like the earlier Oranges. RS1's are pretty easy. Pop out the plastic cap at the top of each stanction and then as you probably know the pump used what looked like a football needle. I guess as a test a football needle in a normal shock pump would allow you to get a bit of air in and see what happens. I forget the pressure range but don't go to mad.
Link to maintenance brochure here if you need it - https://www.oldschoolracing.ch/archiv/rock-shox/

Nice score by the way! Looks like a great survivor :D

Actually like the way it is. Would change the saddle and bars.. Love the flex stem, quite fancy putting one on my O. Plus its period correct so what the hell 😎. Also think the forks complement the frame, just as well as a set of Pace in my opinion.. Real gem that mate. First dibs if you sell 🤣👍

Actually like the way it is. Would change the saddle and bars.. Love the flex stem, quite fancy putting one on my O. Plus its period correct so what the hell 😎. Also think the forks complement the frame, just as well as a set of Pace in my opinion.. Real gem that mate. First dibs if you sell 🤣👍

You'll no doubt own it at some point mate!😂

Yeah, the Flexstem is nice and lifts the front but not convinced it needs both. We'll see. Another thought I had was picking up an Elite and using the Flexstem with that, matched to some yellow Magura brakes...
Forks will be staying, just need some decals.

Already changed the saddle, wheels and tyres so will post pics tomorrow.

Pretty darn cool - if a dude was riding that the other way I'd crick my neck, turn round then chase them for the low-down. Sounds like I've done that before ;) (more than once)

Back