1991 kona explosif??

feidhlim91

Retro Newbie
So I recently picked up a 1991 explosif frame.
The idea was to build a Kona from the year I was born.
I race XC on a carbon heihei and love the kona brand. I definitely can't afford a heihei from the 90s so here I am.

As threaded headsets and the likes were old tech by the time I could ride a bike I need a hand figuring out what I need. Can I run a 1 1/8th steerer? Should I? Or should I stick to 1 inch threaded?

Hey buddy, is it a purple Explosif as per below? Always wanted one of those, unfortunately I have only managed to find a 91 Hei Hei ;)

Seriously though if you are running a 1” threaded headset you cannot use a 1 1/8” headset of either type.

My Hei Hei is 1 1/8” threaded, are you sure the Explosif isn’t also 1 1/8”?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 3.jpg.html

feidhlim91":3v8a8oav said:
So I recently picked up a 1991 explosif frame.
The idea was to build a Kona from the year I was born.
I race XC on a carbon heihei and love the kona brand. I definitely can't afford a heihei from the 90s so here I am.

As threaded headsets and the likes were old tech by the time I could ride a bike I need a hand figuring out what I need. Can I run a 1 1/8th steerer? Should I? Or should I stick to 1 inch threaded?
If your frame is a 1991 Explosif, then as Minifreak intimated, it will have a Headtube for a 1 1/8" Headset - no need to consider a 1" Steerer.

The original spec for the 1991 Explosif can be found here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 4.jpg.html

Pip

Re:

Thank you both for that, really appreciate the help.

Threaded or threadless? Which to go for. I gather threaded is older/original?
I want to get a decent p2 first then look for a headset and all the other stuff
Thanks

Re: Re:

feidhlim91":3a70ps2o said:
Thank you both for that, really appreciate the help.

Threaded or threadless? Which to go for. I gather threaded is older/original?
I want to get a decent p2 first then look for a headset and all the other stuff
Thanks
The 1991 Explosif would have been fitted with a Joe Murray Impact Headset, which are Threaded, and preceded Threadless technology.

The Impact Headset design is regarded as a more efficient way to adjust the play, and lock the Headset Bearing. You will require a Threaded Steerer version of the Project Two fork, and the Explosif would have been fitted with the Triple Butted version. These are superior to the Plain Gauge version in that they are slightly lighter, and give a better response to the steering and handling. Plain Gauge forks sometimes have CM/CM stamped into the Steerer, while Triple Butted can have CM/TB. If you can't see any stamping, the triple butted version weighs around 830gr, while Plain Gauge are nearer 1Kg. You need to look for a Crown to Axle measurement of 390mm - the later version for Suspension Corrected Geometry are 410mm C-A.

Pip

Back