1991 GT Zaskar **Update**

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Whilst still pondering what to do with the refurbishment of my Cirrus frame, I thought I would post some photos of my March 1991 GT Zaskar hand polished this weekend. Got all the parts for this just need to get the 3D forks freshly painted.

Some photos before;

P1010626_zps78e2cb48.jpg

P1010639_zps6dd56160.jpg

P1010627-1_zpsa2399079.jpg

P1010641-1_zps15f4406d.jpg

and after :D

P1040333_zpsc4508c26.jpg

P1040339_zpsac805a29.jpg

P1040338_zps8a99fa9d.jpg

good work indeed...

more details of the polishing techniques, please... hand polished or machine polished.. ?

GT-Steve":1co1awmh said:
good work indeed...

more details of the polishing techniques, please... hand polished or machine polished.. ?

Hand polished using WDs advice :D thank you - ball ache though spent 8 hours.

Started with an 800 grit, then 1200 and finished with a 1500. Used Mothers Mag polish then a top coat of Peek. You can still see the faintest of swirl marks and the obvious knocks and scrapes acquired over the years by the previous owner(s) - maybe should have finished with a 2000 grit.

Whilst I appreciate that it’s difficult to keep the shine, what’s the best method to preserve? I’ve heard Brasso or Autoglm resin polish can help preserve the lustre.

Cheers.

I much prefer polishing by hand, so mucho kudos from me....to you... :cool: :cool:

There's been many a topic on it, and i'm sure someone will be along soon, that cn help with a top coat product that will preserve the lustre you've created, for longer than if you just left it untreaed.. :cool:

I use a cr appy old halfords wax on mine, that I've had in my car-polishing kit for well over a decade... and that does the trick... but you can't get it any more..

holy mother of shine! that is some impressive buff work.

i actually quite like them with the tarnished finish myself.

are you going to period decal it?

Back