1991 GT Team Avalanche

bigfienz

GT Fan
I got this bike couple years ago from one of my friends on facebook. To be honest I was a little disappointed when this bike arrived at my place since there were some things that he didn't explain such as different crank arm length, stucked bottom bracket, broken shifter and so on.

But my disappointment was relieved when this bike had original paint and decals, also some patina 😁. So I decided to keep some parts from the bike such as frame, fork, headset, stem, seatpost, seat collar,handlebar and front cantilever brakes. I cleaned them, regrease the headset and all spinning parts before rebuild it.

I already have some new old stock parts and nice 2nd parts before this bike came to my place and I think it's match with this bike. So the bike already finished couple day ago and here is the spec and some picture of the bike. I hope you like it.

Frame: 16" 1991 GT Team Avalanche, Tange prestige tubing with midnight aurora paint scheme

Fork: GT 2x4

Headset: 1 1/8 threaded unknown with ritchey cable stopper
Stem: GT flip flop
Handlebar: GT duralium
Grips: GT AME
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano deore XT M734 in front, Shimano deore XT M733 u brake in back
Brake Pads: Shimano deore XT
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Diacompe SS5

Shifters: Shimano deore XT M732
Front Derailleur: Shimano deore XT M735 (NOS)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano deore XT M735
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT M730 reanodized black
Crank Bolts: Shimano with custom dustcap
Chainrings: Black Shimano 46-36-28(biopace)
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN 71
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT M735 (NOS)

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT (NOS)
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Compe Black Anodized 32 H (NOS)
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT M730/M732 Black 32H
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Stainless Unknown brand
Tyres: Maxxis Cross Mark 26 x 2.10
Tubes: Kenda

Saddle: Avocet O2 with Titanium Rails
Seatpost: Tioga Chromoly 27.0
Seatpost Binder: GT

Weight: -

IMG_6558.HEIC.jpg

IMG_6546.HEIC.jpg

I reanodized crank arm from silver to black to match with the wheels and some other parts.
IMG_6549.HEIC.jpg

IMG_6552.HEIC.jpg

IMG_6557.HEIC.jpg

Cheers,

Indeed, the early 90s GT’s were best. The paint schemes they produced on off-the-shelf frames were stunning. Also love the 1990 Team Avalanche in Black Widow.

The black components work really well with the frames etc. Good to see thumbies on this rather than the push-push rapid fire too and means you can run SS5’s too 😎.

Those GT Amé grips were so good! 😍 Also like the IOGA branded post 🤣 Nice touch to leave as is! 👍

Indeed, the early 90s GT’s were best. The paint schemes they produced on off-the-shelf frames were stunning. Also love the 1990 Team Avalanche in Black Widow.

The black components work really well with the frames etc. Good to see thumbies on this rather than the push-push rapid fire too and means you can run SS5’s too 😎.

Those GT Amé grips were so good! 😍 Also like the IOGA branded post 🤣 Nice touch to leave as is! 👍
Agree, also thumbies more iconic than double push rapid fire.

Honestly the GT Ame grip condition not as prefect as you can see, there is a little scar on the bottom right grip but it's not big deal. :)

this "IOGA" post came with the bike so I keep it 🤣. Just kidding, it' will be next update for this bike with SS5's decal

We must remember these things are 30 years old so chips, tears, fading, cracks (as long it’s not structural cracks) are all things we should embrace. Yes it’s lovely to have some NOS stuff, but you almost become too scared to use it!

Those grips look just great. NOS versions of those are a small fortune.

I did quite like the space-age servo wave window on the STI brake levers that came with your bike that showed the cable movement... Completely pointless, but kinda cool!

We must remember these things are 30 years old so chips, tears, fading, cracks (as long it’s not structural cracks) are all things we should embrace. Yes it’s lovely to have some NOS stuff, but you almost become too scared to use it!

Those grips look just great. NOS versions of those are a small fortune.

I did quite like the space-age servo wave window on the STI brake levers that came with your bike that showed the cable movement... Completely pointless, but kinda cool!
You're right Sir, the most important thing is "Ride them", they born to be ride

Back