1991 Diamondback Axis (Finished Page 2)

Hi guys,

I'm really glad, that I've found this forum and your post as I couldn't find anything similar here in Germany. :D

I also own a 1991 DiamondBack Axis which I bought when DB entered the german market in 1991. It is in its original state except saddle (after 15 years I replaced the original one with a Flite) and tyre.

Now I have to replace the original bottom bracket against a new one as the old one is really at its end.
So, I've searched for a bracket that could fit and only found Shimano's BB-UN 26 or BB-UN 55 available with the appropriate axle length (127mm). I have a BB-UN 26 (originally bought as spare for another bike but not used) so I tried that one (I really don't want to use that, because I'm not convinced of the plastic cap on the non-drive side, but for testing...). But it doesn't fit in the bracket housing as there is the mount for the duct of the derailleur cables sitting underneath the bottom bracket housing extending into it. :shock:

I've seen you are using a BB-UN 55, so how did you solve that problem?

I would be really happy if you could help me with that problem.

Re:

Hi and welcome to Retrobike.

I'm assuming you mean the bolt that holds the plastic cable guide underneath the bottom bracket shell is protruding into the frame preventing the bottom bracket going in straight? If I'm right then either cut the excess length of the bolt with a hack saw or fit a shorter bolt.

I would love to see some pics of your Axis too :)

Re:

Thanks a lot!

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Ok, I think I'll try to grind down that bolt a bit with my Dremel then. Maybe I could avoid unmounting it by doing this.

I will take some pics and post them.

Many thanks for your help! :D

Re:

I'm going to stick with the Zoom stem as its the perfect reach and rise and a lot lighter than a t-bone.
The saddle is now a white Turbo, the one in the pictures was changed shortly after that ride.
Not 100% sure the turbo works either, a black one would be much better I'm sure.

Re:

Hi all, I decided to sell on my 1991 axis bike. Iget in possesion of that last year. However I collect more racebikes than MTB's. Full XT Sholimano, even the brake pads are still the original. The mudguard was not authentic, therefore I removed this. The tyres panaracer smoke still perfect. What is a correct price Ican ask for in your opinion, please? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190519_135342.jpg
    IMG_20190519_135342.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 270
Back