1991 Cannondale SE-Omega

24pouces

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Bought a few years ago on Retrobike as a frameset, here's my Cannondale SE-Omega…
Since 1990 to 1992, Omega was the top of the line of Cannondale mtb : as told by the Connecticut brand : “the best component on the best frame”. So, building an Omega needs to respect the catalog specification and to find the part :
Cook bros crankset, Suntour XC pro groupo, Ritchey brake lever, Campagnolo rims…
This frame is 99 of 115, but I don't know if there were 115 SE Omega or 115 SE and SM (hard tail frame) Omega. Other mystery : the fork. On catalog, Omega is built with Pepperoni but I have heard that Cannondale sold the Omega with a Rock Shox RS1. The frame was in a very good shape except the fork which didn't work. Mojo-Ti of classic-repro.com make it new, polishing the legs and adapted the brace for receiving a Force 40 braking system…
Pictures :

Attachments

• Cdale-ESTOmega-01.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-01.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-02.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-02.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-03.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-03.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-04.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-04.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-10.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-10.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-09.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-09.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-08.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-08.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-07.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-07.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-06.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-06.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Cdale-ESTOmega-05.jpg
    Cdale-ESTOmega-05.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 117
Lovely work as usual Pierre :cool:

Similar frame on Ebay now, tempted but couldn't do it justice compared to this beauty 😍

Super nice job and lovely pictures. I know a lot of these early full suspension bikes had high pivots, what do they ride like? I never had the chance to ride one then or now.

No long travel and those high pivot suspension doesn't work if you pedal : early 90ies rider were sceptical about those new technology and wanted to be sure that they were no absorbing pedaling power in the suspension. In that way, the Rock shox RS1 got a valve (the static lock out) which open the suspension only on big shock. The main problem of the Cannondale EST was a bad lateral stiffness. Things were better with 2th generation of swingarm with a bridge between the stays and another shocker. On the good side, the bike isn't to heavy and don't work so bad. The rear suspension and RS1 fork is better than the rear suspension with so stiffy Pepperoni fork. I feel more the lateral flex on the SE2000 I still own than this full suspension.

Attachments

• EST4.jpg
    EST4.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the insight. I remember the push from manufacturers (early 90s) to get racers using full sus bikes, the rumour was they used them pretty much locked out.
As a wanna be racer back then i kinda turned my nose up at suspension but both of those things have changed now.

Back