1990 Specialized Rock Hopper Resurrection

KayOs

Dyna-Tech Fan
I found this bike on ebay and thought it would be just right as a city bike.
IMG_20220720_164227.jpg
IMG_20220720_220633.jpg
IMG_20220720_164207.jpg IMG_20220808_114638.jpg
I've always wanted a Specialized and this was almost free. It was all original and nothing really seemed broken. As it turned out, it wasn't...
IMG_20220804_111504.jpg
I didn't want to buy new parts so I dug through the parts box and replaced the faulty bottom bracket, changed the cables, re-lubricated and re-adjusted all the bearings, cleaned and re-greased the shifters, replaced the handlebars and saddle and then I found these straddle rods.
IMG_20230104_130018.jpg
What at first seemed like overkill to me, after all they are currently more expensive on ebay than the bike was, turned out to be a good solution for everyday use. The brakes feel better than new. I then fitted the fattest tyres I had and now want to touch up the paintwork and fit a front rack. Then it will be an ideal city racer. IMG_20230109_131920.jpg

Last edited:
Great project👍
Thanks! It will go on in the future. As I said I will polish everthing up and try to get it back to it's old shine. I even thought about sandblasting and new paint and decals, new bolts and skewers but that's stage two I think.

Thanks! It will go on in the future. As I said I will polish everthing up and try to get it back to it's old shine. I even thought about sandblasting and new paint and decals, new bolts and skewers but that's stage two I think.
If it was mine I'd leave as is. Lovely patina! 😍 And with a proper clean and polish it will be perfectly imperfect! If you want to remove old stickers gently heat them up with a heat gun to aid removal to help them prevent pull the clear-coat off as well. I liked the stickers, but that'a a personal thing.

As always with bikes, as long as they're being enjoyed/ridden it doesn't really matter what you do it as that is a completely subjective. Some great pics of it in use so far! 💪:cool:👋

Back