1990 NISHIKI Alien ACX - Lockdown Find

Unfortunately it was the manufacturing process that killed these off. The way the tubing was formed led to crystals in the aluminium. These would and should normally have been 'squished' out but as you can see with many 7000 series frames from this era (Manitou, Fisher etc) it didnt happen.

danson67 can explain it far bettererer than I can but at least you get the idea.

This is now in the healing hands of danson67 for repair, looking forward to being able to ride the thing!

1978":3tdq1eqx said:
This is now in the healing hands of danson67 for repair, looking forward to being able to ride the thing!
I'm very curious to see how it turns out. If repaired to the original geometry, won't it just crack again?

On the other hand, perhaps the entire frame will be dissasembled (tubes separated using a grinder) and then re-welded under the proper conditions, to include annealing, which would strengthen it to the degree that was originally intended? If that's the case, and it works out well, I sense an ENORMOUS business opportunity for danson67.

Alien ACXs and all-aluminum Aliens were all made using 7005 series aluminum, and almost every one I've seen in the past 10 years or so, with very few exceptions, exhibited cracks, either at the seat-tube/top tube junction (to include the seat stay junction on the all-aluminum ones) along the weld-lines, or vertical hairline cracks (top down or bottom up) in the head tube.

Over the years, I think I've found 4 ACX's like the OP found; absolutely pristine condition except for the cracks, as if it had been ridden once or twice and then cracked and then subsequently parked for 30 years. I've also found plenty of them that had been ridden for a long time before they cracked, so I wonder if the ones that appeared as new (except for the cracks) were ridden exceptionally hard right out of the gate, or if their owners were simply too heavy for the bike.

I have found a few of these bikes in un-cracked condition, but they are by far the exception and not the rule.

Fingers crossed and rooting for danson67's success!

Very nice score, 1978

Doubt whether repairing is worth the effort. it is now original and how long will it last after a repair?

Elev12k":30waj5s3 said:
incorrigible":30waj5s3 said:
I have found a few of these bikes in un-cracked condition, but they are by far the exception and not the rule.

You can add one to your list :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=369387
Wow! That's nice! I'll re-post the picture here for everyone's enjoyment.

Be sure to treat it gently to avoid it cracking on you.
That means no jumps, wheelies, stoppies, bunny hops, curb drop-offs, etc.
In other words, DON'T ride it like a mountain bike; ride it like a tender street bike and be sure to park it on doilies in your living room at the end of each ride. Be sure to sensually caress it and compliment it about its beauty at every opportunity, and constantly remind it that it's the only bike for you.
Don't raise your voice around it, and don't even glance at it if you're angry.
NEVER mention another bike when you're near it, and NEVER refer to it by another bike's name.
Don't encumber it with any more weight, like bar-ends, a mountain rack over the rear tire, panniers, etc. Not even a Retrobike sticker!
In fact, if you put a water bottle in that bottle cage, just don't put any water in it. Additional water weight seems to magnify its fragility.
And don't you DARE put on any excess weight yourself! No more steak dinners, beer, pork ribs, cheeseburgers, French-fries, or chocolate for you, young man! From now on, it'll be salads, fruits, and veggies, and MAYBE an occasional glass of wine IF you're completely up-to-date on your bike maintenance.
And no matter WHAT you think about its less-than-optimum manufacturing origins, if it EVER cracks, rest assured it's YOUR FAULT, mister, because you're an insensitive pig, and you DESERVE to be unhappy!!
Now, for God's sake, I want somebody to give me a tissue and a hug...

;) :LOL:

Attachments

• 34261581093_abb5b6408e_b.jpg
    34261581093_abb5b6408e_b.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 93
Re:

...a-a-and, crickets...

I know you're out there! I can see you posting!
What does a guy have to do to get a laugh around here?

Was I too harsh? It was the word 'pig', wasn't it?
Sorry. I should have said 'beast' instead - less negative connotations.

So..........I guess my work is done here..........Oh! <looks at watch> And just look at the time! My goodness, where does the time go?

I'll just get my coat over here........uh........um, excuse me......pardon me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys4JFRFRkpY

Latest posts

Back