1990 Marin Pine Mountain

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

So I've been looking for a project and keeping an eye on eBay for any cheap local bikes for sale. Having missed out on a 1998 Klein Pulse and 1994 Kona Cindercone I got a bit trigger happy and purchased a knackered 1990 Marin Pine Mountain. I think I paid too much given the condition (and lack of wheels!) but the previous owner delivered it the same day and I felt it needed some love.

This is what I've ended up with.

Tb1SvpI.jpg

I've started to strip it down and thankfully I've been able to remove the majority of components without too much trouble. I'm not sure how many of them I can re-use though.

2DyCerz.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the large chain ring is made by Pace Racing. The granny should be OK but the middle ring is shot. The crank arms should be fine.

The front brakes are original DX and should be OK but I'm not familiar with the rear brakes, they're made by Scott so obviously not original.

The Rear derailleur is XT so has been upgraded at some point.

There is some slight play in the bottom bracket :shock: !

XpKk9hS.jpg

I've yet to remove it as I don't have the right tool.

For the next job I shall be attempting to remove the seized seat post. I've spent about fifteen minutes wrestling with it so far and it's not budged. :evil: I'm going to try a pipe freezing kit. Fingers crossed I can remove the post and bottom bracket without damaging the frame.

I'll continue to update as components get cleaned up and or replaced. I'd like to keep things as original as possible but I don't have a huge budget. I'm in no rush and we'll see how it goes.

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions :)

Cheers,

Jim

Worth a punt at £53 quid, if you sold it in parts you would probably make a slight profit. But don’t do that, you have a great potential project there in the making. Particularly if you can free the seatpost and BB. Anyway will watch with interest.

Eldolhor":1t8ga1je said:
Rear brakes look like Scott Pedersen SE (self energizing).

I'll be honest I've never heard of self energizing brakes but they sound cool. I think I'll be replacing them with DX canti brakes to match the front.

In other news I've removed a few more parts (STI Levers, grips and bars) but the quill stem is stuck fast in the fork steerer tube. I will be applying some further brute force and ignorance to try and free it this evening.

A very satisfying morning. The seat post and frame have now been freed from their metal bonds :D

I initially tried clamping the post in a vice and turning the frame but it just wouldn't budge. So I used a plumbers pipe freezing kit. I'd already decided I wasn't going to keep the post so I drilled a small hole in the post to feed the straw from the aerosol. I then wrapped the frame in insulation and emptied the contents of the can into seat tube.

UJbnPwi.jpg

I then popped the post back into the vice and gave the frame a twist, there was a loud creaking noise and the frame gradually began to move. After much twisting and turning the post gradually came out. Success!

G9b1g5m.jpg

JbWCJz2.jpg

Re:

It's been a while since I updated this. So here's a quick progress update.

All parts have now been removed and the bottom bracket shell has been tapped and faced.

Unfortunately the paint was too far gone to just touch up and the forks and stem were badly faded. So I've had them all sand blasted and powder coated. The powdercoater only had a limited selection and the colour I choose looked much darker on the swatch. But hey I like it.

Decals were from retrodecals and will match the fork colour perfectly, I think I got them in the right place and fairly level too!

Anyway here's a couple of pics....

SXuRcTx.jpg

IzOTnnd.jpg

I'm just waiting for a few parts before i can progress things further.

Cheers,

Jim

Back