1990 Lavoie Titanium made by Maurice Lavoie

That’s great to see! Impressed you found it. I’d love one of the E-stay bikes but I doubt I’ll ever find one, especially over here. Looks like the guy on the right has a Lavoie Industries T shirt on too, probably rarer than the bike now.

I've just seen this and read through it - great story! And great bike at a bargain price!
I remember that MBUK article, pitting the road bike against the mountain bike. There was a trend at that time to try and make mountain bikes like road bikes. The 80s had seen components getting heavier and over-engineered, but now MTBs were adopting more from road bikes. It wasn't just Tomac's dropped handlebars - there were the short cage rear mechs, top tubes were getting longer, frame geometry was getting steeper, stems were becoming longer and lower and handlebars were getting narrower. So different from the bikes of today!

Wearing an XT chainset and a stand in set of wheels (Mavic 717 ceramic on American Classic hubs with Onza Tyres). Proving it gets ridden hard in the mud of Friston Forest. This bike rides so well, feels way ahead of its time. Apologies for the selfie!

Last edited:
Ti .... you can throw cack at it and not worry (well....as long as you put plenty of anti-seize on the BB and anything else threaded or press fitted into the frame).

Now...I may be seeing things but that looks like a steep seat angle, a long top tube and a relatively slack head angle for the time.....(gorgeous bike and fabulous story...and a re-incarnation...)

Last edited:
Back