1990 Kona Cinder Cone - Update: What to do about tyres?

Looking good 👍
I normally put some old bb cups partly in the frame to stop paint in the threads .
Doh! Annoyingly I've got some old BB cups sat in a box, I put them there thinking they'd come in useful for something. I'll remember for next time...

Last edited:
Added some decals today...

They transformed the frame, really giving it identity again. I liked the clean look so much I was tempted to leave it without the splatter, but it's not really in the spirit of the catalogue rebuild I'm going for.

Once I got splattering I wasn't disappointed. The hardest part was knowing when to stop, my frame's original splatter was quite subtle so hopefully, I haven't overdone it. Looking back at the pictures I think I've ended up with more red than the original which had more blue but I'm pretty happy with it.

The 2k clear coat is on now too, The new challenge is resisting the urge to start the rebuild until it's had time to fully harden.

@Blackers Got the old BB cups in this time, cheers for the tip!

IMG_4465.jpeg IMG_4468.jpeg IMG_4466.jpeg
IMG_4471.jpeg IMG_4474.jpeg IMG_4476.jpeg

Last edited:
Added some decals today....

They totally transformed the frame, really gave it identity again. I liked the clean look so much I was tempted to leave it without the splatter, but it's not really in the sprit of the catalog rebuild i'm going for.

Once I got splattering i wasn't disappointed. The hardest part was knowing when to stop, my frames original splatter was quite subtile so hopefully i haven't overdone it. Looking back at the pictures I think I've ended up with more red than the original which had more blue but I'm pretty happy with it.

The 2k clear coat is on now too, The new challenge is resisting the urge to start the rebuild until it's had time to fully harden.

@Blackers Got the old BB cups in this time, cheers for the tip!

View attachment 607063View attachment 607064View attachment 607065
View attachment 607091View attachment 607093View attachment 607094

Looks great. Every splatter was different so it works fine :cool:

I've started putting things back together, refurbing the original components as I go.

Wheels - Striped, cleaned, new bearings, trued and tensioned: The bike still had the original brake blocks on it, albeit worn right through to the metal which left a few nice gouges on the rims. I ended up sanding these out.
Headset - Clean and regressed, re-installed.
Stem - Paint striped, painted, new decals and clear coat.
Bottom Bracket - Cleaned all the paint out of the threads, cleaned, new bearings, re-greased, and installed.
Cranks - The paint has worn through on these, so these got a repaint too. For anyone interested, Fiat Grove Grey is the closest match I could find to the SunTour XCD Grey.
Front Mech - Things started to get a bit silly here. After a strip and clean, I noticed a small scratch, so it got repainted too.
Rear Mech - Well I'd gone this far, so it got fully disassembled for a thorough clean and repaint (not quite finished yet).
Rear Shifter pod - I pulled this fully apart, removed all the old grease, and you guessed, it repainted it too.

The paint fumes started getting to my head, so I thought I had best call it a day there.

IMG_4525.jpeg
IMG_4526.jpeg IMG_4528.jpeg
IMG_4533.jpeg
IMG_4530.jpeg
IMG_4532.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4527.jpeg
    IMG_4527.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg