1990 Kona Cinder Cone - Update: What to do about tyres?

I've just realised I've got the brakes the wrong way around. The Se (self-energising) ones were on the back originally. I would have thought it made more sense to have the more powerful brake on the front?

Last edited:
Today I got it all cabled, the gears tuned up and brakes swapped and set up. It was so close to completion couldn't resist throwing on some spare parts just to get out for a ride.

I still need to restore the original Avocet R1 saddle and source some more original tyres. The 'foam' grips are ready to go but are a pain to get on and off, so I've swapped in some modern ones while getting stuff all dialled in.

IMG_4627.jpeg

IMG_4629.jpeg
IMG_4636.jpeg

I've just realised I've got the brakes the wrong way around. The Se (self-energising) ones were on the back originally. I would have thought it made more sense to have the more powerful brake on the front?

Well, the Suntour lawyers wouldn't let them make a SE for the front! They were worried about wheel lock, and lawsuits, Etc.

So they only ever made rear versions for Suntour!

Scott do a front specific tho. And not only do they look better, IMO, they work a little better too.

I've spent a bit of time on the original saddle today.

So the final question is what to do about tyres?
I've got the original Joe Murray Maximum/Reaction tyres but they're too far gone. I did try to give them a cleanup but the sidewalls are crumbling apart. Any thoughts on what might be a good/fitting replacement for them?

IMG_4693.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 2
Back