1990? GT Outpost - Unusual frame/colourway

August Bicycles

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've come into possession of this 1990 (I think) GT Outpost, I had a nimbus Tequesta from the same year as my first decent MTB so I instantly fell in love with it, unfortunately its way too small for me so I'm think about selling it on.

I've looked online and through a few catalogues I've found digitally, but none of them show this colour way or frame design with no triple triangle, the plate and tube gusset to the seat tube and the chain stay mounted U Brake.

It's in reasonable condition, few chips and scratches, full 200GS group. Grips are aftermarket, as are the tyres and saddle.

Anyone got any ideas what its worth??

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1011 copy.jpg
    IMG_1011 copy.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 20
hi, actually I'm also not sure, especially as the 1990 GT catalogs and documentation available isn't very detailed or focusing on top MTB bikes only.

Still maybe some thoughts.

The 1989 Tequesta catalog pic shows a to me pretty similar color, it's called pink in the spec sheet.
GT 1989 Tequesta.jpg

From the first look, also the alternative color scheme, shown at the title bar of the page for the Outpost looks pretty similar like yours too.
1714034262245.jpeg
Just in the spec it's called red, and yours is everything but red, right?

Moreover the 1989 Outpost came with Exage, your's does have a 200GS if I'm not mistaken.
shimano 200GS 1991.jpg

I've failed to understand exact years when this 200GS group was shipped, but from 1990 it seem to have like other Shimano groups than STIs (Brifters), while your bike seem to have still thumb shifter.

Size and geometry wise I would say yours is a Ladies variant.
The 80ties Ladys models had all a similar design
GT Ladies Timberline 1986.jpg
This was kept for some models up to early nineties.
GT Ladies 1992.jpg

However there are also other GT Ladies Bikes like this Outpost

With that in mind, i would say yours seem to be rather be 1989 model (not sure if GT had something like mid season models, others had).

BTW: I find it lovely, a perfect base for building a nice vintage bike for a little lady (or rather teen girl), sure ideally without 200GS crap.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
200GS came out in 1990. 1989 was the Exage range for lower-end stuff.

As for worth always difficult to strange market, but anywhere from £50 (on here) to £150 if put on eBay with nice photos description and all key words (retro, vintage, kult etc!) but it could be on for a long time until the "right" buyer spots it.

Bloody small frame so limits audience. Love the effort GT went to on these mass produced frames, even on this low-end model:
Awesome paint & decals
Reinforcing rings on head tube
Interpenetrated seat tube / top tube
Under-stays U-brake
Logo on end-cap on top tube? (not sure about this one)
Extra bracing to create third triangle/support seat tube

How they did all this for the cost is beyond me!

hi, actually I'm also not sure, especially as the 1990 GT catalogs and documentation available isn't very detailed or focusing on top MTB bikes only.

Still maybe some thoughts.

The 1989 Tequesta catalog pic shows a to me pretty similar color, it's called pink in the spec sheet.
View attachment 843359

From the first look, also the alternative color scheme, shown at the title bar of the page for the Outpost looks pretty similar like yours too.
View attachment 843360
Just in the spec it's called red, and yours is everything but red, right?

Moreover the 1989 Outpost came with Exage, your's does have a 200GS if I'm not mistaken.
View attachment 843361

I've failed to understand exact years when this 200GS group was shipped, but from 1990 it seem to have like other Shimano groups than STIs (Brifters), while your bike seem to have still thumb shifter.

Size and geometry wise I would say yours is a Ladies variant.
The 80ties Ladys models had all a similar design
View attachment 843362
This was kept for some models up to early nineties.
View attachment 843363

However there are also other GT Ladies Bikes like this Outpost

With that in mind, i would say yours seem to be rather be 1989 model (not sure if GT had something like mid season models, others had).

BTW: I find it lovely, a perfect base for building a nice vintage bike for a little lady (or rather teen girl), sure ideally without 200GS crap.
Thank you soooo much for the in-depth reply, it explains a lot but also adds more confusion! Almost like it is a leftover 89 frame, maybe painted with leftover 89 paint, but assembled with 90 parts! haha. I worked at Lotus Cars for nearly two decades, and we often did strange small runs of cars that were crossovers when running changes were introduced.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
200GS came out in 1990. 1989 was the Exage range for lower-end stuff.

As for worth always difficult to strange market, but anywhere from £50 (on here) to £150 if put on eBay with nice photos description and all key words (retro, vintage, kult etc!) but it could be on for a long time until the "right" buyer spots it.

Bloody small frame so limits audience. Love the effort GT went to on these mass produced frames, even on this low-end model:
Awesome paint & decals
Reinforcing rings on head tube
Interpenetrated seat tube / top tube
Under-stays U-brake
Logo on end-cap on top tube? (not sure about this one)
Extra bracing to create third triangle/support seat tube

How they did all this for the cost is beyond me!
We have put it up for sale on another forum for £150ono. If it doesn't sell, I think we will keep it and turn it into a little commuter, the frame is pretty cool and it's only a tiny bit too small for my wife. Our daughter is about to turn 5, so I might we waiting a while for it to fit her! haha

Back