1990 GT Karokoram,local riders

davo77

Raleigh Fan
Hi there, just thought I would introduce myself, have just bought a 1990 GT Karokoram purple haze, mechanically sound a few spots of rust and battle scars ! Wondered if there is anybody near Ulceby with similar bikes for rides out ?

Re:

Hi,
I'm across the river from you and also have a purple haze karakoram!
We have a retro group ride every Wednesday evening usually starting in welton near brough and if its not too far you are very welcome to join us.
I'm looking at the Lincolnshire wolds as a new area for us to hold some of our monthly Sunday rides so any input you may have on routes would be very welcome.
Cheers,
Chris

Re:

Thanks Chris that sounds good, do you know of anyone who might have a spare cantilever spring lying around? Jobs to do - hubs need regrease, back wheel slightly out of true,new gear cables as front shifter is very stiff. Have you had any success in touching the purple haze paint up ? I did think about a powder coat but thinking leave original and just repair any rust spots scratches.If possible could bring it to a ride to see what you guys think until she's properly off road ready ;-)
Thanks Dave

Re:

No I've never tried touching up but unless its really bad please don't repaint it! I'm sure one of us will have a spring but I never know which side is which. No chance of me finding one quickly in my mess of a shed but I'll ask the others for you

Re:

Thanks would be really appreciated, there are some good bridleways around the Irby Dales,if your on Strava (david loveday) I did a good one mix of road,bridleway 36 miles.

Welcome to Retrobike Dave. As Chris says there is a lot of action going on north of the river, you should get involved. Chris and the guys are very helpful and know pretty much everything you need to know about bikes and the local areas.

Regards

Trebz

Thanks Trebz,have got some new gear/brake cables on order and service hubs, so once she's properly running I will be in touch.

Back