1990 GT Karakoram Purple Haze

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Hi, I picked this up about 6 months to a year ago and it's kind of hung around (literally) in the garage since then. I'm guessing from the serial number I have a 1990 model. One careful owner before me from new, various parts had been replaced, although decent bits had been used they just weren't right for the bike (modern BMX u brake; modern front v-brakes) A few bits I accumulated over that period to replace the worn out grips;saddle;sticking shifters;wrong brakes etc.
Post Christmas lethargy and boredom as well as a need to entertain the kids kickstarted this in to a build for a bike for my eldest daughter (10y/o). I thought she would learn some skills, she certainly was showing an interest in the bike it's self, as after all it's purple! Let her choose some bits from my parts bin to her liking hence the saddle and tyres which I wouldn't have used myself though its turned out ok. The wheels came about from a search of the site that turned up a purple haze Karakoram with black wheels rather than the alloy Araya ones that came with the bike. I had a pair of Coda 800 hubs on Mavic X222 rims that looked fine with the purple. She got a bit bored when it came to cabling up etc and left me to it. She had helped me with a total nut and bolt stripdown of about 2 hours the previous day so can't knock her really. Once finished, the phrase "can we make it in to a BMX now?" made me realise she maybe wasn't sharing my appreciation of retro goodness nor had any of my "skills" sunk in.
So after a strip down, frame washed and polished, all components stripped and greased , I got the bike rebuilt today.

A quick test ride in the damp and dark streets have assured me that a u-brake, Kojaks and a damp road could easily give me a chance at the world record for skidding. The front canti brake and Kojak gives me no confidence at all as to suitability for my daughter to ride it as is. I think a swap back to something intermediate like Specialized Crossroads would be a better tyre choice.

GT Karakoram
Color: Purple Haze
Serial: 190023616

Frame: Tange MTB Cr-mo

Fork: GT Cro-mo

Headset: Tioga
Stem: GT Purple Haze
Handlebar: GT debranded
Grips: Kona Cowan lock on

Brakes: Front generic cantilever
Rear Shimano M453 u-brake
Brake Cables: Shimano MSystem