1989 Saracen Traverse

Henne

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
First of all a big thanks to Retroyetirigid who helped with the logistics in getting this shipped to me. The Saracen 1989/90 range is one of my favourites and I couldn't pass this one up to help get it back to some kind of decent order and also to join my 89 Tufftraxs. Unfortunately, this one will have to go on the to do list for the summer months at mo due to other commitments but I thought I would share. Any tips on removing the rust off the frame without damaging the paint would be appreciated as I would like to keep it original. Tyres are shot but I do have some chargers to put on to keep the amber wall look. :)

Attachments

• 027 (Small).jpg
    027 (Small).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 905
  • 026 (Small).jpg
    026 (Small).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 900
  • 025 (Small).jpg
    025 (Small).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 902
  • 024 (Small).jpg
    024 (Small).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 902
  • 023 (Small).jpg
    023 (Small).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 906
  • 022 (Small).jpg
    022 (Small).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 902
  • 020 (Small).jpg
    020 (Small).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 905
  • 018 (Small).jpg
    018 (Small).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 906
Re:

That's nice, don't see you many around either....

Get it oiled & cleaned up :D

RBG

dude! where did you find this one?
i've been looking (obviously not hard enough) for years here in the UK :)

really really cool bike.....i'm in love with the colour (and 89 saracens in general)

Re: Traverse - just like my 1st mtb!

My (now) wife & I bought one each of these new in Feb 1990, our 1st mountain bikes. Trialled these & a pair of 1990 Lava Domes & went for the Saracens from Barettos Bikes, Plympton. £400 each if I remember correctly.
Sold mine to a mate's wife about 18 months later after being seduced by a Trek 7000. So light after the Traverse, I still have & love that Trek. The mate had an '89 Kili Flyer Comp - I recall being very impressed with the responsiveness of that bike compared to the Traverse. Not dissing it though, good find!

I used to own one of them,440 pounds in 1988,big paper round, could'nt get the extra 60 together for an Overburys Pioneer,that and no you can't spend 500 quid on a mountain bike(Dad).Something like 11 3/4" bottom bracket height,pedals deck easily.I think the levers/thumbies are incorrect,but tyres are original

Re:

Great stuff. I also listed after the 89 Traverse but couldn't quite reach that far and got the Tufftrax. From memory the thumbies and levers are correct, Mountain LX with Deore thumbies and levers?

Would love one myself. :cool:

Re:

Ours were full Mountain LX - with combined thumbies & 4 finger b/levers. 1 down from Deore in the range.

Back