1989 Merlin Retro-Mod

GTZaskarLE94":31zvewqi said:
nice work - about to do the same with my 96 GT Avalanche LE = new XT & Race Face Build .,

Thank you, I had a blast building this bike. When I was done and took it for the first ride I was amazed at how comfortable it was. Have fun with the GT ;)

Ghosty":2a1sil4f said:
Love builds like this, they always look so good. Never seen gripshifters done well before!

I am in the minority here, I love gripshift especially the Sram X0 paired with the Sram X9 rear Der. I have this combo on a couple of my bikes. Seamless shifting when climbing and never breaks.

Re: Re:

Hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread but taking a chance.

I'm planning on doing the same to one of my Merlins with the same Exotic fork due to the 1" steer.

Can you please let me know the AC length you chose. Zorro chose 39cm on his build. I was thinking of going with the 42.5cm version based on it being roughly the same as the SID I have on the other Merlin. I'm not accounting for sag on the SID though so the static measurement is probably not the actual riding measurement.

Anyway, like the bike. Here's my other one, decidedly retro-mod as well. Need so take a better picture

Attachments

• IMG_6436C.JPG
    IMG_6436C.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 335
Re:

Never mind the purists, the retro-mod Merlin looks awesome – a well thought through scheme that makes the 1990 frame look timeless and like a catalogue complete bike. Nice one!

Back