1988 Raleigh Magnum

Re:

Have got what looks like a slightly older one of these that I'm attempting to rejuvenate for a friend.
The BB had me totally stumped, and until I found the pics of yours, I hadn't found anything else about 'em, and was starting to think it might be an old bmx or tandem style BB!
I'm just hoping the deep 27mm socket I've ordered will get the side plate off the BB, as it kind of feels like there's way too much pre-tension and quite grindy.
On the one side I have got the cover off, the cone is not budging (at least not with limited purchase of pipe grips), what tool did you use to unscrew the cones?

Hi drd,

The lockrings were very stiff on mine and as you probably know - difficult to access due to the recessed covers. I eventually got them off using a combination of Plusgas, and spanners with clamps to keep them in place. I didn't try to loosen the cones until I had both side covers off, but then they moved quite easily without any special tool. If I'm reading your situation right I imagine the tension from the remaining side cover will be increasing the difficulty off moving the cone and hopefully once that is off they will move easily enough. A deep socket sounds perfect, so hopefully that will work for you.

Back