1988 Giant Super Sierra Child hauler

How do you get on with the Sunrace shifter? I've got a set of the (very similar) bar-end ones, which are nicely made and work OK. I'm guessing not quite as positive as 7 speed Shimano thumbies?

Am considering a similar setup on my next build...

was8v":23fzefia said:
Joe_Rides":23fzefia said:
Really cool, I love homebrew build's like this.

I've just educated myself on those trick components you used to get the gearing (goatlink, cassette expander) which is going to help on future builds for me.

Gearing works great for the usage - highest gear isn't all that high though.

I used a Hope 40T expander, these are designed fo 11-36 10spd cassettes, I just reduced the height of the machined in spacer section to mate it to the 34t of the 9spd. I dropped one of the cogs our of the lower end of the cassette. Loads around used as people move to 11spd (I paid £10).

The goatlink allows the mech to shift up to it - £2 on aliexpress!

The narrow wide chainring means it doesn't;'t drop the chain, again bought from aliexpress. 110 bcd same as road cranks.
You can also get wide-range 11-40T 9-speed cassettes from Sunrace - CSM980 and CSM990 - which mean no mucking about with expander cogs, etc.

bluetomgold":11qxpynw said:
How do you get on with the Sunrace shifter? I've got a set of the (very similar) bar-end ones, which are nicely made and work OK. I'm guessing not quite as positive as 7 speed Shimano thumbies?

Its "OK", not as positive as a shimano thumbie as you say. Theres a little play in the indent, going one direction you just have to tweak the thumbie back slightly when shifting to make the drivetrain silent.

Re:

was8v":2weui939 said:
bluetomgold":2weui939 said:

Its "OK", not as positive as a shimano thumbie as you say. Theres a little play in the indent, going one direction you just have to tweak the thumbie back slightly when shifting to make the drivetrain silent.

Yep, that's what I found with the Sunrace bar-end shifters... I think I might just go 1x7 as I have a wide range 7 speed cassette here already. Planning a build for my wife and simplicity/user-friendlyness is more important than range. Well done for testing the limits though!

Re: Re:

TZEDS":19eu4b0r said:
Which bars are they,im after some alloy cowhorn bars myself

No idea sorry, they came to me on a Nishiki Alien SP years ago but they weren't oe.

Back