1988/89 Clockwork proto (project thread)

Re:

We're they replaced in exactly the same place / orientation? Any chance they might've been originally for a u-brake?
Just a thought...

Re: Re:

MatBH5":ezmvwfpg said:
We're they replaced in exactly the same place / orientation? Any chance they might've been originally for a u-brake?
Just a thought...
More or less the same place. I reckon the brazed one was previously tig welded hence the slightly wider grind marks.

Re: small update

Small update :

The frame is now cleaned up and ready for the repair to the wishbone boss and seat post removal. I slotted it from top to bottom and tried to fold it in on itself but being of sturdy wall thickness it didnt move :x
So Caustic Soda it is then ! This will have to be done when I have a couple of days off work as i don't wont to leave it set up with the kids around.

A couple of pics -

Yeah, exactly the same thickness on my kili - it does work dont worry.. mine has nearly all melted out (see signature). Long process but that's because I pack it all away and get it all out when kids are down at night, so that takes half my time before doing anything.

Will be well worth it in the end.

Re: coomber

I tested it on a 1" long piece of the seat post and was amazed by how violent the stuff reacts. Spits and farts all over the place. Dont want to take any risks with it.
How long did it take you ?

Taken me about 6 attempts of between an hour and two a go. Mine is slightly different as I have to put a bung in the top of the seattube as mine starts 10cm down into the tube, as the seatpost has been pushed down and in.

It is a violent reaction - definately wear gloves and goggles. I had a splash drop on my bare legs and it irritates for a while, burning I suppose.

kingoffootball on here put a youtube video up of what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dYnSVVDxrE

I would imagine you would need quite a while as that seatpost of yours is thick.

Re:

Thanks for the advice mate. Im planning on doing it over a couple of days so hopefully that will be enough.

Yeah should be fine, like I say, most of my time is getting bike from garage, setting it up, tidying it away etc.

Good luck!

Back