1987 Specialized Allez Epic

HumanReason

Dirt Disciple
Here's a recent picture of my '87 Specialized Allez Epic I picked up from a pawn shop several years ago. Lots of work cleaning it up, basic maintenance, and replacing parts to make it as awesome as possible. There are a few modern bits on here (saddle and pedals) as I enjoy riding it and so a few modern bits make it more enjoyable.

Retro carbon builds like this are the main portions of my collection and this Allez has turned into one of my favourite builds.

Biggest issue on it still are the brake lever hoods. These are the 7401 levers and I've never found anything that fits them perfectly. Current hoods are the BL-1055 which fit ok with some trimming.

After I took the picture I have tracked down the original Dura Ace dust caps for the cranks and added those on.

7bKKwl0.jpg

321GcGG.jpg

Frame: Specialized Allez Epic '87

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: Specialized Pantograph Nitto
Handlebar: 3ttt Prima 220
Bar Tape: Newbaum Cloth

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Dura Ace-7401
Brake Calipers: Shimano Dura Ace 7400

Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Freewheel: Shimano Dura Ace
Chain: Shimano 600
Cranks: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy 1 (Older Alloy model)

Rims: Mavic GP4
Hubs: Shimano Dura Ace
Hub Skewers: Shimano Dura Ace
Tyres: Conti Giro Tubulars

Saddle: Brooks C15
Seatpost: Nitto S65

Weight: 9.27kg

I like that, very nice looking thing

Nob":1vzujkw3 said:
Nice to have a dedicated room indoors for your collection :)
I tried that but as I've managed to take up two rooms of the house with different hobbies I was told two sheds and a double garage should be more than sufficient for my bikes.

Re: Carbon frame collection.

Do you have a Giant Cadex 980 in the corner of the room? Is it the naughty corner for badly behaved bikes?
However, if it is a Cadex, how have you experienced the ride quality, comfort and rigidity? I've just got hold of such a frame but haven't started to assemble the parts on it yet. My best bike to date has an aluminium main frame with everything else Carbon Fibre. I really enjoy and appreciate how that handles but am curious to know if a full carbon frame is really on the next level.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard,

You are correct, in the corner is a '91 Giant Cadex 980c. Carbon main tubes and stays with aluminum lugs. Current build is a mix of 105 and Ultegra with a set of Spinergy RevX wheels. Its sort of a perpetual project since it came to me in pretty rough shape.

DZHpIOF.jpg

These old bonded frames don't really hold up to modern carbon in terms of ride quality and comfort. My more modern Trek 1600 aluminum frame with a carbon fork and bars is far more comfortable and that is far less complaint over longer rides than my Cervelo S2 which is a full carbon frame from 2012.

If you compare the Cadex to aluminum frames from the late 80's early 90's it fares a bit better. I'd say its more comfortable than a Trek 1000 or a CAAD4 from about the same time. Stiffness wise they're also pretty good under load for their time. The Kestrel 200sci I have is all around more comfortable to ride but its a flexy bike especially down towards the BB and I think the bonded frames like the Cadex actually perform a bit better in that regard.

I think a lot of people make that mistake and purchase one of these frames only to be disappointed once they ride it. That's how a few of these including the Cadex have come my way. The previous owner bought the bike cause they saw it as a cool carbon bike for cheap and quickly found out carbon has come a long way in 20+ years and so they turned around and sold it right away.

Overall don't expect modern performance out of them but if you've only ridden on older aluminum frames you'll find its a nice upgrade.

Re:

Thanks for the info.
I own/ride 2 Sintesi framed bikes that i've built up. My first one is an SP400,(i think, it's in the loft in a box & i haven't seen it since Nov) .The frame is Altec 2, non oversize tubing with 1" carbon forks. It's dressed up with Campagnolo components and Gipiemme wheels. It has served me well over the past 15 years that i've had it in my stable. It's been through 3 upgrades and is now 10spd. I experience it being stiff and responsive and comfortable mainly due to the cockpit is built with carbon fibre components, but not the saddle,(too expensive and not worth the cost imo). The other one is a more modern Sintesi Morzine from around 2002, in black, white and red, alu main frame, carbon rear triangle and 1&1/8" carbon fibre forks.
I don't think i can be regarded as reliable source to compare new carbon frames with old ones because i haven't ridden either so i'll just have to compare the Cadex to my more modern Sintesi, When i get the Cadex on the road, hopefully this year. I'm going to pilage my old winter bike for some parts and the rest from my hoard when i performed the upgrades on my first Sintesi. It will have 9spd Campag drivetrain and carbon fibre forks and i bought a pair of Mavic Kyserim wheels, 2nd hand of course. They could do with some new decals and they'll look the part.
I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Here's a recent picture of my '87 Specialized Allez Epic I picked up from a pawn shop several years ago. Lots of work cleaning it up, basic maintenance, and replacing parts to make it as awesome as possible. There are a few modern bits on here (saddle and pedals) as I enjoy riding it and so a few modern bits make it more enjoyable.

Retro carbon builds like this are the main portions of my collection and this Allez has turned into one of my favourite builds.

Biggest issue on it still are the brake lever hoods. These are the 7401 levers and I've never found anything that fits them perfectly. Current hoods are the BL-1055 which fit ok with some trimming.

After I took the picture I have tracked down the original Dura Ace dust caps for the cranks and added those on.

7bKKwl0.jpg

321GcGG.jpg

Frame: Specialized Allez Epic '87

Headset: Shimano 600
Stem: Specialized Pantograph Nitto
Handlebar: 3ttt Prima 220
Bar Tape: Newbaum Cloth

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Dura Ace-7401
Brake Calipers: Shimano Dura Ace 7400

Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Freewheel: Shimano Dura Ace
Chain: Shimano 600
Cranks: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy 1 (Older Alloy model)

Rims: Mavic GP4
Hubs: Shimano Dura Ace
Hub Skewers: Shimano Dura Ace
Tyres: Conti Giro Tubulars

Saddle: Brooks C15
Seatpost: Nitto S65

Weight: 9.27kg
That really is a fantastic collection it must have been a pleasure finding and putting it all together. I'm more jealous of the space you have to keep it all!

I have just bought a 1991 Specialized Allez Epic as well but with out the forks - something I'll need to source. The frame is currently en route but I was hoping in advance to find a set of Aluminium or carbon replacements, but realise that I don't have the exact head tube length. I know, should have asked!

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to measure the head tube on your one please and tell me what the frame size is so I can proportionately work out what mine will be. My frame is a 58. Many thanks.

Back