1986 F W Evans

Excellent, got to be in this coming months early 80's special BotM

Just spent 15 minutes on my hands and knees looking for a missing ferrule on the workshop floor. Found it so time for a cuppa.

Nearly finished but sods law that it's raining so I'll probably have to postpone the test ride.

Only just managed to cobble together the right combination of ferrules, cables, and adapters for this - the frame uses little (3mm?) cable stops for the gears so was very glad to have stashed some suitable bits and bobs over the years... also for some reason I managed to find a short length of 5mm white gear outers, whereas I normally use 4mm and only have ferrules for that. Again scrabbling around in various boxes of bits I managed to find just enough bits of the right size.

Can't wait to take it for a blast now.

FC85598E-C8D9-4E3B-AB5A-1177503B3A68.jpeg D16037D9-13A6-482F-BDEE-7E40F8877B4D.jpeg 35F2B3CE-0CD0-460D-A33A-29D235453C99.jpeg

Finally rode it in anger. Took it to the local trail centre (Haldon Forest) and did my favourite (not very gnarly) trail. I love it!

Didn't feel the need to go as quickly as I would on my (hard tail) Clockwork but it was no less enjoyable and certainly didn't scare the life out of me, which given the slippery rocky trail, and the tyres (more of an all terrain design than a proper knobbly xc tread) is pretty impressive.

Great fun riding past people on modern expensive full sussers. Totally proves that a mountain bike is a mountain bike and you don't need to spend serious money to have fun, and get about.

I've been trying to sell it as I wasn't sure I was going to ride it. Well, I'm keeping it. 3CDD2CA4-742E-4A86-8744-934B59813A17.jpeg 5C1F6F04-CBAE-4556-A7EF-8D59CD39F177.jpeg

would upset the clean lines.
More than it upsets the modern bike riders at Haldon? ;)

Thing is, I have about 12 bikes and literally not one with proper mudguards! I've always considered myself an advocate of their use! And I've got loads here... And I like riding in the rain, sometimes.

Let me rephrase the question. Black or silver mudguards?

Would be a nice bike to take touring.

Back