1985 Claud Butler Canyon *****FINISHED*****

It's hard to tell exactly what's holding it in there. As I said the rest of the bike came apart very easily, no corrosion anywhere. Trust it to be the bit that isn't original to cause me problems. So frustrating, really just want to get out on her :cry:

I will carry on with the oil for a couple of days and then have a go at the hairdryer/freeze plan. Thanks for the tips guys...

Had the same problem with my Marin - steel and alloy fuse well together. tried all the oil/freeze/heat methods and nothing worked, even some solid knocks with a hammer and putting the seat tube in a vice and turning the frame.

There are some chemical solutions to the problem I've been told e.g. caustic soda or acid (not that sort!!), but didn't try those.

In the end I had to resort to cutting it off an inch or so above the tube and sawing two vertical cuts using a padsaw. It took me at least three hours of sawing and a lot of swearing, taking care not to cut into the tube itself.

Good Luck

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Post out, build on :cool:
4 days of soaking in oil, a few swift hits with a mallet, iron rod clamped to the seatpost, stand on iron rod and gently twist and pull frame upwards....

Huzzah!!

Nearly there now, :)
Just need a seatpost, chain, and set-up the cantis...
Oh, and regrease the pedals.
It's been a great project to work on as after uncovering all the grime, dirt and grease underneath she is in lovely condition. Am looking for a matching green touch-up paint to put the icing on the cake. Not many scratches but enough to warrent at least a bit of rust prevention..

Here are a couple of latest pics... (just quickies on the phone)

claudb003.jpg

claudb001.jpg

Back